It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: N&W 611 To Visit Strasburg RR via NS in Sept./Oct
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:23 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
So the cat's out of the bag with what was probably THE worst-kept "secret/surprise" in contemporary preservation for the past four days:

Quote:
Norfolk & Western Class J locomotive No. 611 will travel to Pennsylvania’s Strasburg Rail Road for four weekends of events in September and October.

The Virginia Museum of Transportation and Strasburg will combine for events including an opportunity to ride behind the restored N&W 4-8-4, opportunities to operate and fire the locomotive, cab rides, and photo charters. Classic car shows, behind-the-scene shop tours, and other family-centered events are also planned.

“Since its restoration, the Virginia Museum of Transportation has sought opportunities for the 611 to engage people from all walks of life,” museum board member Brian Barton said in a press release. “The partnership with the Strasburg Rail Road allows us to spark a fascination with steam locomotives and transportation, our history, steam technology, mechanical engineering, and design.”

The events will reunite No. 611 with Strasburg’s N&W Class M locomotive, No. 475, a 4-8-0 built in 1906 and in service on the N&W until 1962.

The Strasburg events include:

— Sept. 28-29: A Norfolk & Western Railway Steam Reunion.
— Oct. 4-6: Railfan Photography Extravaganza
— Oct. 12-14 Rail & Road: A Transportation Evolution
— Oct. 19-20: At the Throttle of Norfolk & Western Steam.

Tickets, which range from $5 to $750, depending on the event, are available at the Strasburg Rail Road website beginning Friday, March 15.

More at:
http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... -of-events

Now to go see how bad the hysteria and "foam" is with the Eastern contingent of online "foamers"...........

Post subject: Re: N&W 611 To Visit Strasburg RR via NS in Sept./Oct
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:59 pm 

Well I guess I now have a plan for September/October railfanning I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:15 pm 

Glad that VMT is getting her out this year, I was concerned about 611's prospects after the Amtrak policy changes. In addition, at least its to a new destination and allows activities that will attract non-foamers (because they are the ones who really pay the bills). With PTC and the changing landscape with Class 1s, the mainline steam operators will have to continue to pursue these types of opportunities.

Is it a mainline, all day trip? No, but let's not forget we're not that far removed from a time where the prospects of ever seeing 611 boiling water again were nil. So for all those that can only find issues to complain about, including such trivial things as non-matching consists, let's get a reality check and applaud VMT and all the mainline operators who work their tales off to make these trips happen.

Maybe if this is successful enough VMT will go back in the future and this can become their equivalent to FWRHS's 'Steam in the Valley' at CVSR. Strasburg is close to huge population centers and prevents VMT from over saturating markets in VA and NC.

Plus, let's not forget there will be great chasing opportunitis with the ferry moves in both directions (including new mileage for 611) and depending on what direction they need 611 pointed, maybe we'll see some moves between Strasburg and Harrisburg to turn her on the turntable there (as they just did with 757).

I'd still like to see NS utilize 611 for PR around their network that doesn't include any trips at all (such as displays at community events). For an industry that continually becomes more and more impersonal, 611 would give them more bang for their buck then any of their commercials airing on the cable news channels).

Until then, we can at least be thankful that NS continues to honor their commitment to allow deadhead moves across their network.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:26 pm 

As long as "foamers" are staying out of trouble I don't particularly have a problem with people being excited for a special event like this. Once I get a look at the full ticket prices I hope to figure out when I can make it there for a day.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:46 am 

I find it ironic when anyone who belongs to an online railroad preservation group talks about “foamers” as though they were not one. Ha.

Non-railfans won’t know the difference between 611 and 90, but hopefully after they visit they will! But This is most definitely a railfan event and there’s nothing wrong with that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:25 am 

I'd heard rumors about this on Facebook. I'll tell you, I'm stoked that 611 will get a chance to operate this year! Being from N.C., I'm not quite sure if I can make it (And Tweetsie's Railfan Weekend being close to then, as I don't have infinite cash.) But should the stars align correctly, you KNOW I would be there!

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:08 am 

Does anyone know when the 611 had its last 1472 day inspection? I am sure it doesn't have a lot of accrued service days, but it has been awhile.
Mike Tillger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:12 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
Non-railfans won’t know the difference between 611 and 90, but hopefully after they visit they will!

Anyone saying this obviously has never been beside both of them.

We're talking the difference between, say, a Ford heavy-haul truck and a Bentley limo.

And when British steamers (or even diesels!) go from heritage line to heritage line for visits, they're usually accompanied by news releases in the local/regional media, emphasizing the history and significance of said loco and hyping the "rare opportunity." And it's never simply "trainspotters/anoraks" or line members that turn out--some of the events become galas that out-draw a Thomas visit.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:13 am 

Mike Tillger wrote:
Does anyone know when the 611 had its last 1472 day inspection? I am sure it doesn't have a lot of accrued service days, but it has been awhile.

Hey, maybe it's going to Strasburg's shop FOR a 1472! <:-D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:25 am 

Mike Tillger wrote:
Mike Tillger

I know that it has been FAR less than 15 years since its last 1472.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:29 am 

Any chance she will come any further North?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:00 pm 

hamster wrote:
I know that it has been FAR less than 15 years since its last 1472.

The rebuild work that was done from 2014 - 2015 was not a 1472 day inspection? I guess I assumed that it was.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:23 pm 

6-18003 wrote:
Any chance she will come any further North?

How much are you offering? And where?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:05 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
Non-railfans won’t know the difference between 611 and 90, but hopefully after they visit they will!

Anyone saying this obviously has never been beside both of them.

We're talking the difference between, say, a Ford heavy-haul truck and a Bentley limo.

And when British steamers (or even diesels!) go from heritage line to heritage line for visits, they're usually accompanied by news releases in the local/regional media, emphasizing the history and significance of said loco and hyping the "rare opportunity." And it's never simply "trainspotters/anoraks" or line members that turn out--some of the events become galas that out-draw a Thomas visit.

You are incorrect. I said it and I’ve seen them both and ridden behind them both many times.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:05 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:

How much are you offering? And where?

A certain place with a turntable that is unfortunately 19 feet short.