It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: N&W 611 To Visit Strasburg RR via NS in Sept./Oct
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:33 am 

I noticed they not only changed the headlight, but also the front pilot on 475. Very nice touch to add to the late 50’s look.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:28 am 

EJ Berry wrote:
I tip my hat to Kelly and his crew for getting them both through the shop and back on the road.
That would be Erich and his crew. Unfortunately for me, I had virtually nothing to do with it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:49 pm 

Hi All
I just wanted to post, about the excellent time that I and a friend of mine had down at the Strasburg RR, with the N&W 611. First I would like to Thank, Strasburg RR, and there fine personal for a most enjoyable weekend.
We when arrived Saturday Afternoon, the Railroad was busy with people, and the Railfans, etc. The people handling the crowds were very professional, form the railroad. Even tho the N&W 611, was the star of the show, with Strasburg own N&W 475, everything was handled like clockwork.
Strasburg did restrict people from certain area's for safety reasons, and I don't blame them. But basically, you could get all the photos you wanted, on the grounds of the Railroad. But of course, you did other railfans and the general public taking photos, from the farm fields and at the railroad crossing.
Both locomotives looked great in N&W lettering, all trains were handled very professionally, and with a lot of safety.
Attachment:
File comment: Photo by Pat Fahey
DSCN0295.jpg #1 - Copy.jpg
DSCN0295.jpg #1 - Copy.jpg [ 55.2 KiB | Viewed 7053 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Photo By Pat Fahey at Cherry Hill
DSCN0344.jpg # 2.jpg
DSCN0344.jpg # 2.jpg [ 46.08 KiB | Viewed 7053 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: Photo By Pat Fahey Strasburg, the J at J tower.
DSCN0174.jpg# 3.jpg
DSCN0174.jpg# 3.jpg [ 58.72 KiB | Viewed 7053 times ]

Again Strasburg did a fine job, and I would like to thank them again.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:51 pm 

I've got to ask, now that the crews at Strasburg have had some time with 611, is it a different experience with such a large and modern locomotive, even on a road 4.5 miles long? Can you give us any insight, any thoughts, on big power like that?

(P.S.--I would think she should be able to handle the biggest freight train you'll ever get with no assistance!!)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:22 pm 

I wasn't going to bring it up, but since the previous poster just did, is there any possibility that the J might be used for one of the Strasburg's weekly mixed freights before it leaves?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:45 pm 

PaulWWoodring wrote:
I wasn't going to bring it up, but since the previous poster just did, is there any possibility that the J might be used for one of the Strasburg's weekly mixed freights before it leaves?

What weekly mixed freight? Those haven’t been offered in well over a year, if not more.

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:17 pm 

I'm a little behind I guess. Well, now would be a good time to do one!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:58 am 

Hi All
I would like to try to answer J3a-614 post, Hi Ross, I was talking to one of the Steam crew that was protecting the crossing at Strasburg, on Sunday, about N&W 611.
To answer your question, one of Strasburg's engineers did get to run the 611, on one of the trips. I was told, by this person from the Steam crew, the engineer had to be very careful, on how he handled the throttle.
If the engineer pulled the throttle too much, the 611 wanted to go, the pickup was almost instant, the N&W 611 was build for speed, as we all know.
So the steam crew at Strasburg got a lesson on big power and the power of the N&W ( J).
I hope this answers your question, Pat.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:39 pm 

Pat Fahey wrote:
To answer your question, one of Strasburg's engineers did get to run the 611, on one of the trips. I was told, by this person from the Steam crew, the engineer had to be very careful, on how he handled the throttle.

If the engineer pulled the throttle too much, the 611 wanted to go, the pickup was almost instant, the N&W 611 was built for speed, as we all know.

Thanks for the answer, that's along the lines of what I thought they would find!! With its size, power, and modern design, the 611 is a real hot rod with a supercharger compared to Strasburg's power (which is more suited to what Strasburg hauls).

It was just fun to hear it!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:00 pm 

I attended the event and had a great time. Looked like it was very successful. Will be interesting to see what type of events this inspires both at Strasburg and other railroads with visiting locomotives.

Will be hard to compete with the #611.. I overheard some railfans saying "yeah wouldn't it be cool if they could bring the #765 here" - first of all NOTHING wrong with wanting to see other locomotives come to strasburg. It's a natural thing to want. But I wonder if the #765 would bring the same amount of fans since it runs annually in Ohio. I feel like one of the reasons #611 at Strasburg was so popular was because it hasn't run anywhere else this year.

Obviously there was the historic "reunion" with #475. I know for me, that's what made me want to make the trip and pay up for the photo charters. Seeing the only 2 operating N&W engines together was a big treat and seeing #475 (and #382) with N&W lettering next to #611... really special event.

Maybe #60 could visit #90 for a reunion one day?

Anyways... glad to see the event was successful. I think it also goes to show the railfans will come and pay good $$$$ if it's something they want to see. For me seeing #611 pull a freight train... totally worth the $$$. Since all the photo charters sold out quick.. I know i'm not alone.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:10 pm 

Yesterday, October 24, 2019, was the 60th Anniversary of 611's last passenger trip on the "old" N&W from Bluefield to Roanoke on October 24, 1959.

Today, October 25, 2019 is the 60th Anniversary of Reading Company's first Iron Horse Ramble with T-1 2124 pulling 16 cars from Wayne Junction (Philadelphia) to Shamokin and return.

N&W J's and Reading T-1's both have 27"x32" cylinders and 70" drivers, although the J has a boiler pressure of 300 psi versus 240 psi for a T-1.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:24 am 

bigjim4life wrote:
PaulWWoodring wrote:

What weekly mixed freight? Those haven’t been offered in well over a year, if not more.

Haven't been offered... but Strasburg still occasionally brings in freight left by NS from Leaman Place with a steam locomotive. Rather recently, if I recall correctly, utilizing No. 90. I had heard the mixed freights were tabled due to an inconsistency in the interchange schedule.

/Mitch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:45 pm 

J3a-614 wrote:
I've got to ask, now that the crews at Strasburg have had some time with 611, is it a different experience with such a large and modern locomotive, even on a road 4.5 miles long? Can you give us any insight, any thoughts, on big power like that?

(P.S.--I would think she should be able to handle the biggest freight train you'll ever get with no assistance!!)

Well, yes and no ... After multiple trips on the J I was glad to have one of our locomotives the following day. The J was purpose-built for a whole host of factors. Our locomotives were built for lighter density lines and more "rolling" physical characteristics (with the exception of No. 475 which was built as a mainline locomotive, though one could argue for a different set of physical characteristics from a different era). Once set up, she was a joy. But then I had to shut down ... Your mileage may vary.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6