It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Conrail SW8 with 567B Engine — Information Needed
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:04 pm 

Hello all:

I’m looking for information in regards to EMD SW8’s with the 567B engine. In particular this question is going to relate to the former New York Central SW8’s that were acquired by Conrail.

I’m involved in a museum project that is in the process of acquiring an EMD SW8. I’ll be happy to discuss this project more later, as I think many will be interested in it.

This SW8 was built in February 1953 for the New York Central as part of order #4144 and carries serial number 16195. It was NYC #9620 and became Penn Central #8620 and subsequently Conrail #8620.

After Conrail, the locomotive has been in numerous industrial switching operations in Eastern Canada.

It was built with a 567B engine. We understand that Conrail did significant upgrading to their SW8’s and I’m wondering if anyone knows to what extent did Conrail rebuild the prime movers in these units and did they receive the conversion to 567BC specifications?

I’m including a photo of the engine that shows its EMD tag and serial number. Below that tag is a stamping that reads: C0-2-81 J.L.S.

I would assume the 2-81 means February 1981 and the J.L.S stands for Juniata Locomotive Shop? I have no idea what the C0 means, but I’m wondering if the C at the beginning of the stamping is in some way referring to 567C specifications?

The locomotive did receive other major upgrades from Conrail as it’s equipped with a 26L brake and MU capability was added. We however, can’t find any info (yet) on the extent of the engine overhaul it likely received as part of this upgrading nor what the work in 1981 by Juniata Locomotive Shop would have involved.

The locomotive is in good mechanical condition based on very preliminary inspections so far, but myself and others have not yet been able to see it as it’s on the other side of the country, so I don’t know if the original 567B was upgraded to C specs or not.

My background is with the Canadian Pacific Railway as a locomotive engineer and conductor for 35 years and I know most CP units that were a 567B were changed over to BC specs when they got rebuilt.

It’s sister locomotive the 8619 is in service with the Berkshire Scenic Railway in Massachusetts.

Any information anyone has or insight they can provide would be much appreciated.

Best regards,
Jim
E&N Division, of the Canadian Railroad Historical Association

Attachments:
890A0292-B1E6-44BA-9B6D-F95F219B9858.jpeg
890A0292-B1E6-44BA-9B6D-F95F219B9858.jpeg [ 237.32 KiB | Viewed 7355 times ]

Post subject: Re: Conrail SW8 with 567B Engine — Information Needed
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:12 pm 

I understand that our #8618 has a 567 C engine.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:26 pm 

Kelly Anderson wrote:
I understand that our #8618 has a 567 C engine.

Kelly:
Thank you kindly. I believe your SW8 was on the same order as this one originally from EMD.

Any further information you might be able to access, when convenient, regarding your SW8 engine being a C would be very helpful. Wonder if it has a similar stamp from Juniata Locomotive Shop on it’s engine block?

Best regards,
Jim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:47 pm 

If you need to know where to get gaskets or seals for your power assembly's, just let me know. I found one place that has excellent customer service.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:21 pm 

Conrail was not consistent with their switcher overhaul program. Some locomotives with B blocks received BC engine upgrades but retained their original wiring and control stands; some retained their B blocks but were otherwise completely rebuilt. Generally speaking, most of the engine upgrades I've seen have the badge plate altered to show "BC".

- Alan Maples
Everett Railroad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:55 pm 

If the engine is shut off, and you can get permission from the current owners, open one of the upper inspection covers (rectangular hatches on engine sides).

If there is a water pipe running down the length of the airbox, with jumper pipes connecting this pipe to every cylinder, it is a BC. If not, it is still a B.

Jeff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:48 pm 

dwa2503107 wrote:
If you need to know where to get gaskets or seals for your power assembly's, just let me know. I found one place that has excellent customer service.

We’re be in touch if needed.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:51 pm 

Alan Maples wrote:
Conrail was not consistent with their switcher overhaul program. Some locomotives with B blocks received BC engine upgrades but retained their original wiring and control stands; some retained their B blocks but were otherwise completely rebuilt. Generally speaking, most of the engine upgrades I've seen have the badge plate altered to show "BC".

- Alan Maples
Everett Railroad

Thank you. This is the exact sort of info I’m looking for. I wasn’t sure if they had a standardized rebuild program or not.

Further research indicates that the badge plate on the current engine block starting with serial number J50 means October 1950. With this SW8 being built in Feb 1953, would indicate that it is not the original block and Conrail changed the engine when rebuilding. However, the question remains was it updated to BC or not.

We’re just in a bad position to able to inspect it to that level of detail at the moment.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:52 am 

I couldn't find a plate like yours on #8618's engine, but found this plate.

Attachment:
20190318_095420.jpg
20190318_095420.jpg [ 347.43 KiB | Viewed 6673 times ]

Our diesel mechanic says the engine is a 645(!) CR. My trouble is that I can't figure out where to throw the coal in.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:53 am 

There appear some useful photos on this other forum... (on the third post)

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?p=570909

The first photo showing a B style air-box with internal water header with nothing to be seen. The second image is a C, but a BC would mostly be the same. IIRC, if it's B, or BC it will have squarish (with rounded corners) inspection hatches on the block; and an original C would be circular.

Our RS3m has a B-block that was rebuilt in 1978/79; each power assembly is stamped on the top with a date when they were individually rebuilt presumably just before the engine rebuild.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:19 pm 

Jim,

This photo should answer your question, it's a B block, no modification to BC.

I was looking to purchase this same loco also and Dave sent me this photo.

Good luck with it, looks like a nice pup.

Scott

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:42 pm 

Scott Kwiatkowski wrote:
Jim,

This photo should answer your question, it's a B block, no modification to BC.

I was looking to purchase this same loco also and Dave sent me this photo.

Good luck with it, looks like a nice pup.

Scott

Scott:
Thanks for this. I’m just getting looped into this project. This unit is going to be a very important part of our museum project, everything we know about it so far indicates we shouldn’t have to spend the next year working on it! Another one of our members was trying to get out there 4 weeks ago to inspect, but ended up closing the deal before. It looks to be in good shape though.

It’s odd that CR would have rebuilt the prime mover and not upgraded to BC, but that’s the big railroads for you.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:46 pm 

If any of this can be of any help, please let me know.

https://thecrhs.org/catalog

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:29 pm 

Interesting to see that three in a row have been preserved! The 8618 at Strasburg, the 8619 at Berkshire Scenic and now the 8620!

You're part way there with the code stamped on the block. It translates to "Complete Overhaul-2/1981-Juniata Locomotive Shop.

Our 8619 got the "CO" in 1979. Can't remember the month. The prime mover is a B-block. The 8619 was completly re-wired as well at that time and retains its original cab inards (barrel control stand, #6 brake, etc.)

She's a great runner and if the 8620 is in as good a shape as the 19, it should serve you well for many years. Parts are widely available as well.

Good luck!

Tom Delasco
Chief Mechanical Officer
Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum, Inc.
Lenox, MA

Lenox, MA

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:47 pm 

Kelly Anderson wrote:
I couldn't find a plate like yours on #8618's engine, but found this plate.

Attachment:
20190318_095420.jpg

Our diesel mechanic says the engine is a 645(!) CR. My trouble is that I can't figure out where to throw the coal in.

Kelly:

Your engine is an 8V567CR, it may have 645E packs in it, but it was built as a 8V567CR.

The 8V567C had a balance problem, so EMD created the 8V567CR. This engine has a different firing order than the standard 8V567C. The first 4 cylinders fire the same as the 567C, but the last 4 cylinders have a different firing order. This engine also uses the same crankshaft as the 8V645E engine, which results in the same firing order as the 8V645E.