It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adults Only coaches on the Polar Express.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:05 pm 

https://www.abc12.com/content/news/Pola ... 13581.html

"The Steam Railroading Institute says they're going to dedicate a fleet of cars for the 2019 season that will only cater to travelers over 18 years of age.

According to the SRI website, it will be a more "high end" ride with panoramic views, holiday hors d'oeuvres and a cash bar serving up seasonal cocktails for those over 21. You'll get to ride in a 1950's style Hi-Level lounge car.

The cheapest "adults only" option is $120 per ticket with options that include sofa seating, tables or swivel chairs."

I notice it says " 1950's style Hi-Level lounge car." Would that be one of the recently retired Pacific Parlour Cars from Amtrak, or do they have one that was already on the roster?

Post subject: Re: Adults Only coaches on the Polar Express.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:07 pm 

I think this is absolutely brilliant, and hopefully it catches on with other places.

Holiday trains are great, but not everyone wants to ride a train for an hour (or more) listening to screaming kids singing carols.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:30 pm 

I see both sides... for one it’s an interesting marketing move to advertise an “adults only” car on North Pole bound train (it should really tell you a lot about our society! The irony!).

But on the other hand, there have been times where I would like to ride a train in Nov. & Dec. but didn’t want to be the odd adult surrounded by families with young kids. I would be a customer for something like this!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:06 am 

I guess delivering children to the North Pole just wasn't enough anymore for the Polar Express...

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:58 am 

For the kids that want to drink something other than hot chocolate.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:18 am 

tweetsie12 wrote:
I guess delivering children to the North Pole just wasn't enough anymore for the Polar Express...

So? This is a brilliant marketing move that could help guarantee future operation by appealing to an alternative market.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:22 am 

Its interesting to see the demographic on board the trains, sure there are endless families but there are also large groups of 20-30 somethings dressed in plaid onesies that love to come along for the ride. An adults only car seems like a good idea for me and would appeal to that other group that you could expand on.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:32 am 

Maybe you should add a car for singles?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:10 am 

softwerkslex wrote:

Maybe something like this on rails? https://youtu.be/NQrVE5bRUsg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:47 am 

tim o'm wrote:
softwerkslex wrote:

Maybe something like this on rails? https://youtu.be/NQrVE5bRUsg

Or maybe something like "The Tinder Express".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:13 pm 

SRI just announced the purchase of several Pacific Parlour Cars on their Facebook page here:

https://www.facebook.com/PereMarquette1225backshopandenginecrew/posts/2189058237796453

"Brand new for NPE this year! We recently purchased a couple of vintage hi-level lounge cars from Amtrak! Originally built by the Budd Company in the 1950s for the Santa Fe Railway, these cars were used as part of the all-coach El Capitan streamliner between Chicago and L.A. until 1971 when Amtrak took over the nation's passenger services. Amtrak inherited the El Capitan's two deck equipment, including the lounge cars. In more recent years, Amtrak used the lounges on its Coast Starlight train between L.A. and Seattle. They were branded as "Pacific Parlour" cars and offered extra amenities to sleeping car passengers. Amtrak discontinued the parlor cars last year and put them up for sale. Our cars are being christened "Pere Marquette Parlor" and will be an adults only venue. Stay tuned as these cars make their way to Owosso!"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:46 pm 

Donald Cormack wrote:
tweetsie12 wrote:

So? This is a brilliant marketing move that could help guarantee future operation by appealing to an alternative market.

I'm not totally against the idea but calling it a "brilliant marketing move" is debatable. ha.

I've seen other operations try this idea (we are running the train anyways, lets add an adults only car!) but to me it can start to cause confusion for the brand. (The brand being the Polar / North Pole / generic christmas express train that is marketed for kids).

In general I think railroad / museum operations need to be careful with this type of thing, they usually want to try anything to get $$$$ without consulting with marketing experts and looking at the big picture.

Now having the Parlor Cars is a great thing for SRI, glad they are going to a good home!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:02 pm 

Common thinking has it brick and mortar stores are closing because of Amazon and other online businesses.

Data has shown millennials are spending more money socializing with friends in attractive environments with good food and drink than buying cloths and other material goods in Malls.

My 19 year old grew up with Polar Express and in a couple of years might find this approach to be very attractive. She has expressed a interest with revisiting childhood Thomas with her friends as well. Perhaps upscale wine, cheese and brew Thomas trains are in the future as well.

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:30 pm 

Robbie Hanson wrote:
SRI just announced the purchase of several Pacific Parlour Cars...

In more recent years, Amtrak used the lounges on its Coast Starlight train between L.A. and Seattle. They were branded as "Pacific Parlour" cars...

Ah, so they are the cars I was wondering about. Very cool, glad they've found a good home.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:15 pm 

An adults-only coach isn't a bad idea at all. I remember taking my then-new wife on a train ride many years ago when Brunswick (MD) Railroad Days offered a ride on MARC coaches from Brunswick to Martinsburg, WV, and return. We were the only people on the train who didn't have small children. Some started crying and very soon all of them were crying. When the train started to move they paused briefly to look out of the windows and then resumed their wailing. This continued all of the way to Martinsburg (about 45 minutes down the line) and all the way back. As we got off the train my wife, her head numb from the shrieking, said to me, "Don't ever do that to me again."

Come to think of it, she has never ridden a train in the US with me since that day. Overseas, yes, but not here.

So yeah, a sanity-preserving adults-only coach is a good idea. It might bring in riders who would otherwise stay away.