It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Roller bearing refit of friction bearing trucks
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 1999 5:48 am 

We are still attempting to move a 1928 built steam powered crane to our museum (Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum in North Judson, Indiana.) Since the railroads involved will not move it unless it has roller bearing trucks, we are trying to find out who can retrofit roller bearings into the friction bearing trucks currently on the crane and an approximate cost. Anyone out there have any ideas??<br><br>

Midlandblb@cs.com

Post subject: Re: Roller bearing refit of friction bearing trucks
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 1999 7:28 am 

I'm no expert, but I know that the folks that rebuilt the Milwaukee #261 retrofitted the tender friction bearings with roller bearings. I believe they swapped bearings, boxes and all from a UP turbine ("Big Blow") tender at the Illinois Railway Museum. You might talk to them.<br>

shaws@integrityol.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 1999 1:21 pm 

I was lead to believe that the retrofit style of roller bearings to fit inside "standard" friction bearing boxes are now condemmed (so they probbally cannot be purchased). you best bet would be to find a complete set of repacement trucks to putunder for the move. not an easy task. The big railroads are almost imposible to deal with on friction bearings, but casually remind them that this is not an intechange move, but a one time move. if you have some knowlege of repair of friction bearings repair and can garanty the condition all the better. sometimes they budge.<p>Al P.<br>

alp@cheshire.net

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 1999 4:28 pm 

The insert type of bearing is not illegal, it is just not in the interchange manual. The railroads were concerned that the modern hotbox readers could not pick them up as readily as the modern type of truck. I believe that the movement of the crane would come outside of interchange anyway, as all railroads have 25 mph limits on them. I would contact the railroads concerned to see if they would even move it with the roller bearings.<p>I have converted several passenger cars to AP bearings inserted within friction journal boxes. It is not that hard to do. Just bring $$$. Personally e-mail me with the particular dimensions of the wheelsets involved (bearing size and wheel diameter) and I can give you a ballpark extimate of the replacment wheel costs.<p>Warning: If some of the axels are geared for self propulsion, this will complicate things greatly.<br>

SZuidervee@aol.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 1999 2:22 am 

I'm in the same boat. I am planning to convert the Buckeye 6 wheel trucks for my 200 ton Industrial Brownhoist steam derrick to roller bearings. Recently I removed the trucks from the crane, and as soon as I find a company that can do the conversion I'll ship them out. My wheelsets are 6 1/2" x 12", a common size but the wheelset become oddball with the 33" wheels. Two of my axles are geared as well.<p>The roller bearing conversion involves adapting the friction bearing journal box to take the new bearings, so aside from turning down the axles and pressing on roller bearings they will have to modify the journal boxes as well. There is a way to convert the crane to rollers without compromising its "appearance" as a fricton bearing car, Steamtown has come up with an interesting solution for that one. <p>I would be interested in also learning of any leads on roller bearing conversion, perhaps working together we can solve two problems at once.<p>Rick Rowlands<br>Owner, B&O Steam Derrick X-45<br>

bighookx45@aol.com