It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: UP 4014 excursion tickets May 12th
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:28 am 

Pegasuspinto wrote:
Seeing how UP claims they will be touring the system with both 844 and 4014 through the rest of 2019 (schedule to be announced)...

Where did you read that? Are you sure you’re not confusing the display train baggage car with the steamers? I’ve seen them say the display will tour the system. If they announced any additional 4014 trips, I’ve sure missed that. Yes, there’s rumors of at least one, but I don’t recall any official trip announcement.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:35 am 

Quote:
Where did you read that?

Been posted here for a while now - first sentence: https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/schedule/index.htm, and the same statement was on their Twitter as far back as March 14.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:36 am 

It's probable that they won't hard schedule anything until this trip is over, and they have a better idea how 4014 performs and any challenges they need to consider. But I can't see that they would spend the money to rebuilt it and not parade it around as much as possible. And as stated above, they have pretty much announced a system wide tour is in the works.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:59 am 

UP hasn't run public passenger-hauling excursions over their system since the early 2000s, with very few exceptions - such as the Cheyenne Railroad Days trips. So if/when UP does take the 4014 systemwide I wouldn't expect public excursions. And even if UP did allow public excursions, are there still local groups - such as NRHS chapters - who could staff/sell these trips? Here in the Chicago area there likely isn't.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:34 am 

ctjacks,
Good point. Back when Canadian National ran many excursions and regularly scheduled trips with No. 6060, there were several railway organizations in Toronto, Montréal, and Ottawa which provided a solid pool of helpers. Properly trained people could open doors, set out stepping boxes, organize crowds, and keep people safe. The real train crew could go about its business without worry. That system worked remarkably well.
Canadian Pacific had several long distance runs with No. 2816. CP did some limited trips near Toronto hauling passengers in GO Transit coaches, but did not have runpasts, etc. At least, I don't think it did? Also, CP was accused of being secretive about its steam movements, but the trips were fund raisers for charity and a good way to show the flag. Let's hope it can get No. 2816 back out on the main line.
As for Union Pacific, it will do what it deems proper to do. Let's be thankful for whatever steam entertainment it gives us.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:57 am 

Wouldn't it make sense for us to wait until UP tells us? I'm certain they aren't going to keep it secret given it's purpose is PR.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:00 am 

Great Western wrote:
CP did some limited trips near Toronto hauling passengers in GO Transit coaches, but did not have runpasts, etc. At least, I don't think it did?

I did one of the 2816 trips in June 2004 from Toronto to Milton which used GO Transit double deck stock. Came away rather unimpressed as regards the opportunities to photograph (or even get near...) the loco, compared to what I was used to in Europe.
Not allowed anywhere near it at Toronto Union and there was only one (sort of) "run past" at Milton, shortly before the train returned back to Toronto. At least I was well towards the rear of the train on the outward run, so got some decent views as it went round curves, even if you couldn't hear it!
2816 cleared off to Hamilton (loco + support cars) after spending some time at Milton, whilst the train ran back to Union Station behind a GO diesel.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:11 pm 

Bobharbison wrote:
Pegasuspinto wrote:
Seeing how UP claims they will be touring the system with both 844 and 4014 through the rest of 2019 (schedule to be announced)...

Where did you read that? Are you sure you’re not confusing the display train baggage car with the steamers? I’ve seen them say the display will tour the system. If they announced any additional 4014 trips, I’ve sure missed that. Yes, there’s rumors of at least one, but I don’t recall any official trip announcement.

An announcement of a trip to benefit the Union Pacific Railroad Musuem is available at:

https://www.uptraintix.com/index.html

Priority for tickets will go to patrons of the museum

Bob H