It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Heber Valley acquires NRHS B.C. chapter collection
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 6:53 pm 

JayZee
You, and a thousand others, are also wondering.

Disclaimer.....I know nothing about the deal, or the Heber Valley RR. Never rode it.
But very, very happy to see this happen, and I live in BC.

As you allude to, that's a pretty big inventory for an operation of this size.
Along with what they already have.
So, perhaps "keep the best...sell the rest " to keep the Heber operating, might be an option.
The fact they have to be shipped in this fashion, means they are not interchange compatible.
But perhaps perfect for numerous isolated shortlines, who only need 2 or 3 cars...???

Attachments:
NRHS_FP9_6300 (1).jpg
NRHS_FP9_6300 (1).jpg [ 193.64 KiB | Viewed 4366 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:03 am 

PMC wrote:
Michael Trower wrote:
SD70dude wrote:
The fleet is all Road-Worthy, other than the fact all the coaches are equipped with Plate Wheels no longer authorized to be interchanged. As such the coaches have to be carried to destination on appropriate flats.

Could someone explain this to a Brit please? Does it mean they have wheels with separately fitted tyres rather than monobloc wheels?
Thanks in advance.

Michael

I would guess this means that the wheels are fabricated and likely riveted rather than cast solid. Some light rail cars use this arrangement, but they are not interchanged.

Thank you Train Detainer & Dennis for the explanations. I was thinking of wheels where there is a separate tyre shrunk on to the steel centre as per loco driving wheels.
There was a similar style of wheel to the paper wheels in the UK with wooden blocks in the centre and were known as Mansell wheels.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mansell_wheel

Michael

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:57 pm 

We don't have to many "paper" wheels left in North America but there is one good example of it in Golden, Colorado at the CRRM on the RGS Rico at the CRRM and I believe the RGS Edna at Knott's Berry Farm in California.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:18 pm 

Daniel H.
Good info. Here's a shot of Rico at CRRM.
Off the net.
Photo Credit to Nathan Zachman.

Attachments:
IMG_6656-L.jpg
IMG_6656-L.jpg [ 230.2 KiB | Viewed 3674 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:39 pm 

Never heard of this train before. I remember in my many visits to Vancouver there was dozens of old passenger cars right near the Briad light rail train station near Brunette Ave and Trans Canadian highway. Is those the same cars?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:41 pm 

I suspect the "plate wheel" reference is to 49 CFR 238.119 that bans any "rim-stamped straight-plate wheel if a brake shoe acts on the tread of the wheel for the purpose of slowing the vehicle." Curiously, private cars were exempted, except such wheels could not be used as replacements.

This US Federal Regulation was effective November 8, 1999. I don't know if Canada has a similar regulation.

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR ... 38-119.pdf

https://www.ntsb.gov/safety/safety-recs ... /R95_1.pdf

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:17 am 

Phil -
I don't believe that's true. That ban is specifically in response to stamped straight plate wheels, not older flat plate wheels. It also follows AAR S-4045 5.2.1.4 "Rim-stamped wheels of straight-plate design are not to be installed as original or replacement wheels for use with on-tread brakes." It was due to failures of tread-braked stamped wheels, like this rather (in)famous one: https://www.ntsb.gov/safety/safety-recs ... /R95_2.pdf. Lots of info there for the reading. Straight plate wheels (as opposed to flat plate) are still in widespread use. The difference being 'straight plates' are at usually an angle other than 90 relative to the hub and of modern steel, not perpendicular to it like the older 'flat plates' of iron or inferior steel technology.

49CFR still lists bans on type X-2 and X-4 wheels (not sure what those types are - I don't have diagrams of them, maybe someone else on here does), but much of the older tech stuff in the code has been purged over the years as it's been out of normal use for so long. It may not even be in the current AAR MSRPs anymore.

Single flat plate wheelset (common 1850s-1880s):
Attachment:
Allison USMRR truck.jpg
Allison USMRR truck.jpg [ 113.52 KiB | Viewed 3509 times ]