It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Strangest Theme Trains?
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:40 pm 

Don't know if this would count as “strange”, but Tweetsie Railroad hosts the annual “Ghost Train” Halloween Festival, which includes former White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad #190 dressed for the season, complete with a skull adorning the front of the smokebox. Each year, the event's train ride has a different theme, providing a brand new experience every year you attend. The event also has a small haunted house, various Amusement Park rides (Tweetsie is a theme park after all...), amongst other attractions. Image

"What Responsible Driver would stop, as if he was at a roadside layby? It's Rule 55, you can't do it!"- the Rev. W. Awdry

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:16 pm 

Bowmore wrote:
Fillmore & Western in SoCal runs zombie hunter trains. They are open cars with paintball guns to shoot at the zombies. They always sell out!

That kinda appeals to me on some level as a way to take out my frustrations. I'd hate to be the zombie, though.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:03 pm 

Andy Nold wrote:
JR West has a Hello Kitty bullet train. Maybe not what you expected. I understand there is also a Panda themed train among others.

https://www.jrailpass.com/blog/hello-kitty-shinkansen

Japanese theme trains is a rabbit hole that can take hours to explore! They have "Hello Kitty" everything, and a ton of others. They even have trains decorated like a cat and dog.
https://twitter.com/MrTimDunn/status/534693620214149120

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:04 pm 

tweetsie12 wrote:
Don't know if this would count as “strange”, but Tweetsie Railroad hosts the annual “Ghost Train” Halloween Festival, which includes former White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad #190 dressed for the season, complete with a skull adorning the front of the smokebox.

Well, Halloween Trains aren't strange at all, but that one does have pretty unusual decor, so it's worth a mention.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:06 pm 

Dennis Storzek wrote:
The Illinois Railway Museum runs the "Bunny Trolley Hop" at Easter time, basically a Santa train type operation featuring the Easter Bunny instead of Mr. Claus. The kids get to meet the Easter Bunny on the streetcar, which takes them out to an Easter egg hunt; outside if the weather is nice, in one of the carbarns if it is not. According to the Rail & Wire, the museum newsletter, it's been pretty successful.

Good event, but not all that unusual. Lots of railroads have them, Mt Rainier Scenic did one for many years. Same idea, bunny shows up, kids hunt for eggs. Worked good.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:10 am 

I remember the Mount Rainier railroad did a "Rudolf the red nosed diesel" excursion train in Tacoma, Washington years ago. The put these huge antlers on the front of the diesel along with a red flashing beacon light. Was one of the funniest looking locomotives I ever seen.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:22 am 

There is not a definite answer, but I do think operations need to weigh in the downside of having some themed events. If the theme takes away from the charm of the operation, it can result in a negative experience for some visitors.

For an example, take a look at how various operations handle Thomas the Tank Engine events. The Henry Ford Museum, (which I continue to say is one of the best railroad museums in the country), handles Thomas the Tank Engine events extremely well. They have period correct live music, vintage carnival games, and stilt walkers etc. - So yes it's a Thomas the Tank Engine event for young children, but the extra entertainment they add is fun for everyone and fits and enhances the theme of their facility.

Other railroad museums seem to bring in a cheap carnival atmosphere for their Thomas (and other) events that would detract from their otherwise classic / charming environment.

Same thing with Christmas trains.. the WW&F in Maine does a really classy "Victorian Christmas" train for example. Santa Clause is still involved for kids, but it's more of an all ages experience.. not geared just for kids.

I'm not saying there is a clear right or wrong... just some food for thought. Durango built an entire wye to surround their "Event Park" for Dino Trains and Polar Express etc... that's certainly a good idea as it allows the trains to Cascades / Silverton to operate as usual and just pass by the "Festivities"