It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Richard M. Sparks, 1943-2019
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:25 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
From the Facebook page of The Mountain State Logging & RR Historical Assn.:

Quote:
This morning, we said goodbye to our friend and mentor, Richard Sparks, after a long, courageous battle with cancer. Mr. Sparks was a renowned railroad artist and historian, charter member and officer of the Mountain State Railroad & Logging Historical Association, where he served as longtime editor of "The Log Train." A native of Alexandria, Virginia, Richard devoted his life to researching and documenting the “true history” of Cass and West Virginia logging railroads. For many years, he coordinated CALS (Chesapeake & Allegheny Live Steamers) photo charters, to the delight of photographers. Mr. Sparks was magnanimous in the sharing of both his knowledge and photographs and our community is richer in many ways for having been exposed to his artwork and writings. Richard will be remembered as a humble gentleman, who never met a stranger. A short visit with him left you with an impression that would last a lifetime. Please keep his loving wife Ann and the entire Sparks family in your prayers. Rest easy, Richard and thank you for being so generous by sharing your incredible work with all of us.

Post subject: Re: Richard M. Sparks, 1943-2019
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 1:29 pm 

I knew Richard Sparks through the CALS many years ago. A fine gentlemen, long devoted to everything at Cass. He will be missed.

- Alan Maples

Post subject: Re: Richard M. Sparks, 1943-2019
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:10 am 

I knew Dick from Potomac Chapter, NRHS. He did the cover art for the three Bill Price books we published in the 1980's. I always enjoyed the brief conversations I had with him. My sympathies to his family.