It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: 643 for sale on eBay?
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 5:03 pm 

Relocation is due to take place sometime within 30-40 days -- but the party behind the transaction said they don't plan to scrap it and are otherwise actively engaged in getting the switch reinstalled to facilitate short term relocation.

http://www.fwrhs.org

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:48 pm 

nathansixchime wrote:
Relocation is due to take place sometime within 30-40 days -- but the party behind the transaction said they don't plan to scrap it and are otherwise actively engaged in getting the switch reinstalled to facilitate short term relocation.

Thank you. So, what is the estimated cost to restore the switch? If the property is being sold, and the new owner plans on shipping by rail and would require the switch to be reinstalled anyway, who would bear the expense?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:29 pm 

Excellent. Even if the details can’t be revealed yet, it’s good to hear actual progress. As for who pays for the switch and haulage, those negotiations are often sensitive. It’s enough to know there’s a credible source of information, a plan and qualified people who can handle it. Wish them luck, because the move will be difficult (just not as difficult as we all thought.)

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:48 am 

Just to reinsert a modicum of reality in this discussion, the 643 is a REALLY BIG locomotive. Nearly as big as any rigid wheel base locomotive can get. Is there ANYWHERE something like this can operate? Certainly NOT on a tourist RR. WAY too big, too heavy, too long and too expensive to operate. Are there any larger tourist or heritage operations like the WM where it could go? Can't think of any, off hand. Getting an Eastern Class 1 to host something like this is so unlikely it hardly qualifies as a dream. So, for it to be saved it needs a larger museum to step up. That's the only scenario that makes any sense.
And, by the way, regarding Part 230, complete disassembly is required including those brand new never used 30 year old tubes. Then an "as is" Form 4 must be calculated to develop a scope of work required. For a loco this size I would expect all of that to cost in excess of $75,000. THEN and only then can a multimillion dollar decision be made regarding restoration to operation. Just because someone 30 years ago said the boiler was great does not make it so from an engineering standpoint. And the standards of 30 years ago have nothing to do with today's regulatory environment.
The other scenario is that it goes to the scrapper. But THAT makes sense, too!

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:35 am 

hamster wrote:
And, by the way, regarding Part 230, complete disassembly is required including those brand new never used 30 year old tubes.!

Well, not actually. You don't need to separate the courses, take off the welt straps or domes, remove the staybolts and firebox, of take out the drypipe or superheater flues if the boiler can be adequately inspected with them in place. Thermic syphons, arch tubes.... a lot of the boiler stays in one piece unless there's a technical reason to remove it. Good tubes that must be removed can be safe ended and recycled if you have the pedigree....... How would you check the tightness of the braces if you took them out first?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 8:55 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
I'm going to go out on a limb here.

We've uncovered circumstantial evidence that 643 MAY have been examined as a prospective operating loco for the Grand Canyon Railway in the 1980s. Remember, the RR at one point before opening explored bringing in Chinese steam, either Chinese-built or American-built repatriated.

According to "the right people," the track COULD handle 643. The line has grades of up to 3.5% approaching the South Rim, meaning that it could handle 12 cars solo (we ran the numbers). They currently run trains from 7 to 15+ cars.

The problem?
Steam operation is now down to a token "once train a month plus special events." And not in winter, for the most part. It's a transportation and hospitality company, not a bunch of railfans "playing trains." So there's NO sense whatsoever for them to acquire this big a loco NOW.

So, there is/was ONE excursion operation that COULD HAVE justified this loco, but is (most likely) not going to do so now.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:40 am 

Kelly Lynch is certainly a very credible person in the steam preservation field and thus I take his posting seriously. I sure hope events prove him right and that the locomotive has found a new home and will be on the move soon. I must admit that I'll believe it when I see it as moving this engine is a MAJOR and VERY expensive task.

If it's true that the owner turned down offers of $ 100K he's crazier than I thought he was.....and that's going some.

Guess we'll all know fairly soon what's fact and what's fiction.

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:17 am 

Rather than restrict the options to - return it to operation, or, scrap it - could we add, rescue from present site, move to safe site, stabilize artifact, and preserve for future generations?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:21 am 

nathansixchime wrote:

Has the locomotive been sold, with the relocation being done for the new owner?

Or has it not been sold, and the relocation is being done by the present owner?

Last edited by Ron Travis on Wed May 29, 2019 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:52 am 

Let's hope the purchaser has some pull with the passing RR company and can get 643 moved without complaint or incident. I think until the buyer chooses to reveal him(her)self, we need to standby and watch. The comment made above regarding the wheelbase and frame length seems the most critical point after the negotiation to move it is completed. If CSX is agreeing to moving a 2-10-4 over it's rails, it would signify a major shift in policy, and can only be good for at least one participant in this discussion.

I look forward to a positive outcome.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:32 pm 

Ron Travis wrote:

The parties representing the current owner are looking into temporary relocation.

Scranton Yard wrote:
Thank you. So, what is the estimated cost to restore the switch? If the property is being sold, and the new owner plans on shipping by rail and would require the switch to be reinstalled anyway, who would bear the expense?

I didn't ask -- they were too optimistic for the work required in the time frame they gave for me to want to learn more. Once they said that they wouldn't accept 100k it became more a conversation about value/cost, the availability of water tender (they say the asking price includes the switcher and canteen as a package deal with the engine), and being a resource to assist if they felt like they needed another bit of perspective because they had "initially been hearing from societies and rail museums that had no money."

At least 2-3 of the 5 qualified parties have the immediate means/where-with-all to move the 643.

The press that the listing received attracted a few wild-eyed prospectors, too.

http://www.fwrhs.org

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:21 pm 

nathansixchime wrote:
Ron Travis wrote:

The parties representing the current owner are looking into temporary relocation.

Scranton Yard wrote:

I didn't ask -- they were too optimistic for the work required in the time frame they gave for me to want to learn more. Once they said that they wouldn't accept 100k it became more a conversation about value/cost, the availability of water tender (they say the asking price includes the switcher and canteen as a package deal with the engine), and being a resource to assist if they felt like they needed another bit of perspective because they had "initially been hearing from societies and rail museums that had no money."

At least 2-3 of the 5 qualified parties have the immediate means/where-with-all to move the 643.

The press that the listing received attracted a few wild-eyed prospectors, too.

So if i understand and is not easy for me, 643 is not sale for now but would be move soon and somes parties stay interested to buy it.

My question, who is the qualified, a museum, a railway society???

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:51 am 

The big wrote:
My question, who is the qualified, a museum, a railway society???

History suggests the qualified party or parties will remain nameless until a deal is done. To announce prior invites complications into an already complicated arena.

Having watched over the years, still sounds like the owner's position hasn't changed all that much from years past (want too much, doesn't understand the threat). It would be ironic if in the end, the water tender, in some respect, is worth more than the locomotive.

Perhaps because all three pieces are bundled, it opens the door to a multi-party solution.

Bob

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 3:29 pm 

Kelly, thank you for the info, as Ross stated and I can confirm, you are a reliable source. I have watched this thread from the beginning and laughed many times at how, just because it's not being made public for obvious reasons, most, if not everyone posting here seems to think nothing is being done in private to remedy this situation. Much like the railfans who feel the railroads owe them a good show, or owe them steam, or owe them whatever, I cannot believe the people here who act like they are owed every detail of what might be going on behind the scenes and if/when 643 is moved they should have a say so in where it goes or what happens to it. If you do not have the money to buy it, a place to take it, a means of moving it, etc, you need to keep your nose out of it and let those who DO have the resources work their magic behind the scenes. When the time comes they might let you know what's going on and then again they might not-it's their prerogative. In the mean time all the speculation, rumors, second guessing, whatever, is doing nothing but filling up pages of RYPN creating more confusion and rumors. Let the backlash begin.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 4:04 pm 

765nkp wrote:
I cannot believe the people here who act like they are owed every detail of what might be going on behind the scenes and if/when 643 is moved they should have a say so in where it goes or what happens to it. If you do not have the money to buy it, a place to take it, a means of moving it, etc, you need to keep your nose out of it and let those who DO have the resources work their magic behind the scenes.

You mean like this?:

Attachments:
5629 a.jpg
5629 a.jpg [ 172.38 KiB | Viewed 32042 times ]
5629 b.jpg
5629 b.jpg [ 56.41 KiB | Viewed 32042 times ]
5629 c.jpg
5629 c.jpg [ 60.54 KiB | Viewed 32042 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 25  Next