It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Flying Yankee Restoration Group
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:42 pm 

PC, Thanks for the information. I've always been interested in re-power projects and engines in general.

Too bad the simple answer wasn't, Get to end of track and attach a switcher and pull the FY backwards.

Seems something akin to what the steam guys did in the 80's could be setup in the obs car. A small diesel control box using standard toggle switches and a rotary switch for speed control. NKP765 had such a box built by EMD. Other outfits made their own control boxes based on the EMD design and the 27 pin cabling between steam engine and diesels. I bet a small control box could be put together in no time with EMD drawings at hand. The FY control system might need modifications to make it work though.

Robert

Last edited by BigBoy 4023 on Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Flying Yankee Restoration Group
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:11 am 

Bigboy 4023- Exactly what I suggested earlier. I have in my files a very compact design for such a box, that I developed for when or if my museum group decides to put one of their steam locomotives in service. The largest item would be the automatic brake valve, which I can't miniaturize and still keep the FRA happy.

As others have suggested, the tail car is a blank slate, and a small desk, with the controls under the lid, could be worked into the restoration. Whether the throttle is electric, air, hydraulic or mechanical will have to be determined, though. Other than a mechanical linkage, all are fairly straightforward to do, though.