It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: glover restoration
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:41 pm 

I was watching a Utube video by Keith Rucker and he rebuild some tri cocks for aGlover locomotive that was being restored to operation. Have any of you heard of this, a Glover search on here turned up nothing.

Post subject: Re: glover restoration
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:43 am 

In 1987 a good friend of mine stumbled upon a box of old glass plate negatives stored within the last remnants of the Glover Machine Works in Marietta, GA. Soon thereafter, he, two other railfan friends & myself began what seemed like an endless task of reprinting the more than 700 glass plate negatives found in this very, very old facility. This project was done in a makeshift darkroom setup in the basement of Dick Hillman who discovered these negatives and went on to work for what became The Southern Museum of Civil War and Locomotive History in Kennesaw, GA now part of the Smithsonian. This facility, originally known as Big Shanty, is where "The General" of the Great Locomotive Chase fame has been on display for years. One of the original Glover steam locomotives is also on display there.

Dick went on to write a book about Glover Steam Locomotives, which may be found at:

https://www.amazon.com/Glover-Steam-Loc ... 0911581405

Below are several urls which you should find helpful in further researching this topic. There are undoubtedly others. I have forgotten much of what I found myself involved with back when that project started and I have not resided in the Marietta/Kennesaw area for years now.

https://railroadheritage.org/r1760/glov ... tors_title

https://www.southernmuseum.org/exhibits ... ine-works/

Bob Lyndall - Roanoke, VA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:16 am 

There were two Glovers that ended up in private hands - one stored in the US and another in Latin America running at an amusement park. Given the gauge cocks were restored in the US, I'd venture to suggest that might be the place to start - in private hands in Columbus, Ohio when I was last involved in the preservation of the Glover collection a very long time ago........ as I recall the Ohio private owner had operated it on compressed air. Standard gauge 2-6-0 CN @ 10168. The other possibility - and it's unlikely - would be one of the two hulks owned by the Georgia Agrirama, an 0-6-0T and an 0-2-0T (0-6-0 that had two axles removed). Both of there were built for Cherokee Brick and were sort of squashed down to fit under a low overpass at the brickyard. these were both in extremely rough condition when I last saw them about 30 years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:34 am 

Since Keith volunteers at the Agrirama it is my guess that he is indeed working on one of the Cherokee locomotives. As a fan of oddball steam power, I would certainly like to see one of those run again.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:42 pm 

Glover built a couple of two foot gauge0-4-0s for the US Navy, if the prints were among the things saved a replica would be a nice project .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:59 pm 

They are certainly unique....... and the Glover sense of proportion and esthetic also. Kudos if they have the ambition and resources to restore one of those hulks properly.