It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone need an SD60?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:15 pm 

NS is selling some SD60’s for scrap in the near future. NS 6548 (Standard Cab SD60), 6628 (Rebuilt last March; SD60), 6694 (Standard Can SD60) 6702 (SD60), 6703 (SD60), 6747 (SD60I), 6772 (SD60M) and 6812 (Ex BN Triclops) are all set for scrapping in Adrian, MI. Are these locos good candidates for Museum donation due to their relatively short working lives? What about 6628 since it just received repairs in 2018?

Post subject: Re: Anyone need an SD60?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:32 pm 

NS bought all this used power a few years back, apparently to avoid the new emissions requirements on engines, it could be a sign that they think the emissions rules will be rolled back. I'm frankly surprised regionals or leasing companies wouldn't want these, the early SD60s were good units even if DC. If a company like CM&Q uses old SD40s I'm surprised they wouldn't take a look at these. As for museums, as you note some of these units are homely, I think I would wait for the later SD60s.

Last edited by PMC on Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:27 pm 

It's not a sign of emission rules being softened.

It's because Norfolk Southern after decades of resistance towards AC traction even as they inherited a large slice of Conrail's SD80MAC fleet and regularly experienced run-through AC power, finally saw the light in 2016 or so.

Suddenly revitalizing their DC motored SD60 fleet, including used examples bought just a couple of years before with intentions of rebuilding, didn't make sense anymore. Norfolk Southern wants to move to all AC power for mainline trains and rebuilding DC motored units for another 15-20 years of mainline service simply doesn't support that plan.

That's why the SD60E program, despite meeting all criteria and being a success, was ended over 100 units short of the finish line. It's also why Norfolk Southern lost interest in pursuing other options to rebuild their fleet of C40-8's and C40-8W's in the wake of the failure of their Dash 8.5 program.

Frankly, I even wonder about the SD60E's longevity as Norfolk Southern continues to roll out PSR (A major operating change is to be implemented in early July, which should lengthen the already long storage lines of power). If they're moved off mainline runs and with a comfort cab that makes it not a good fit to step into the rolls filled by SD40-2's and the like, jobs may be few and far between at NS for this 135 member class down the road.

But I see no signs of them ending their large scale DC-to-AC program to revitalize their late model GE's and EMD's, and hopefully the planned ACU rebuilding of the SD80MAC's will still be happening now that the last SD9043MAC recently was outshopped.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:45 am 

Does anyone have any connections with the place these are heading?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:48 pm 

Ed Kapuscinski wrote:
Does anyone have any connections with the place these are heading?

The only scrapyard with a rail connection in Adrian is OmniSource. Which is actually serviced by the Adrian and Blissfield Railroad. Unless these are to be picked apart on one of the old spur tracks along the mainline.

OmniSource Adrian
815 Treat St, Adrian, MI
(517) 265-5195

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:52 pm 

It's best to try and buy them direct from NS. If a museum is serious about acquiring one of them, I'd approach Norfolk Southern about having one of them donated and see what they say.

Robert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:01 pm 

Does anyone know how much these locomotives were sold for? I originally heard $250,000 from an unnamed source. I’m assuming that if someone made an offer to the scrapper for the right price, they would possibly sell one off. I would try to go for the recently rebuilt 6628 as it may be in the best condition. 6772 would also be a good candidate as the first NA safety cab SD60 to be preserved. Even though the locos aren’t that old, they are better preserved then scrapped.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:01 pm 

Is this rebuilt SD60 you're talking about the one that had cab repairs done a while back?

If so, I don't think it's as rebuilt as you're thinking it is. If my recollections of the excellent NSDash9 Facebook page are accurate, the one I'm remembering is basically a discarded spartan cab removed from something like a GP38-2 that was being rebuilt with an Admiral cab, grafted on to the remaining portions of the SD60 cab to get it back out there to roll its last few miles. Was basically a duct tape and bailng wire type repair when compared to Altoona's typical work since it was known that it wasn't going to be on the roster for much longer.

The SD60/M/I death warrant was signed when the SD60E program was discontinued back in 2016 or so. These have been earmarked for retirement ever since then and only motive power shortages that ended a few months ago and the subsequent easing in of PSR has kept them rolling.

So it's hard to imagine NS having invested in an heavy overhaul for one of these in recent months. Especially if this one has already been sold for a scrapper while other SD60's are going to places like Progress Rail for their lease fleet, I doubt it was much of a rebuilding.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:28 am 

A blue carded SD60 should bring $300,000 or more. It's pretty rare to see running six axle locomotives selling under $200,000. If Norfolk Southern overhauled them recently then it's probably going to be around the $500,000 range. I remember some F units went up for sale and sold rather quickly that were overhauled by some Canadian class one railroad. They were sold for almost a million a piece.

A running 710 engine is worth more than what you will get out of scrapping that locomotive especially if it was overhauled. 710 engines are widely used in the marine industry and in good demand. A good used generator is worth around $25,000. Used traction motors run around $5,000 and up. Check out the going rate for locomotives http://sterlingrail.com/classifieds/Lis ... ive&fsw=FS