It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alco Angled Number Boards
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:59 am 

I am working on a project to replicate these angled number boards on two of our Alco RS-3 locomotives, Boston & Maine #1508 and Maine Central #557. I have the best of the lot sitting on my office floor and have created a design in Solid works. However I am missing at least one detail, that would be where I have circled in red in the drawing. there was some type of latch or hook here, long gone once the hinges rusted and the cover didn't need to be lifted, probably until both bulbs burnt out.

the construction on my sample is soft soldered construction, and depending on finding the right vendor may be again, or welded. defiantly will be made of stainless.

I am thinking these may be of a similar design used on steam locos as well, SP , UP?

so what I am looking to find is a good photo of the latch, or drawing documentation of the whole thing.

Al Pomeroy

Attachments:
557NB.JPG
557NB.JPG [ 64.06 KiB | Viewed 4323 times ]

Post subject: Re: Alco Angled Number Boards
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:37 am 

Not the most detailed shot of the number boards, but shows classification lights with them. Your locomotive, on an eastbound road job, doing its work in Waterville yard.

Attachments:
GQRR 567 smaller file.jpg
GQRR 567 smaller file.jpg [ 263.8 KiB | Viewed 4070 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:39 am 

You might try contacting the Mid-Continent Railway Museum, They may have an intact example:

https://www.midcontinent.org/equipment-roster/dieselother-locomotives/milwaukee-road-988/

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:28 pm 

Might want to contact the Battenkill Railroad -- their #605 is the former Lehigh & Hudson River #10, and has factory number boards such as you're describing:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/Locopi ... px?id=9449

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:38 pm 

Alaska Railroad 557 has a couple of them. The ARR added them around 1950. I looked through my photos of the 550 class and none were sharp enough to make out the detail you are looking for. If no one else comes up with a photo I can ask one of the restoration crew to take a couple of photos. I'd do it, but it's 100 mile round trip.

Attachments:
temp 1.jpg
temp 1.jpg [ 7.32 KiB | Viewed 3595 times ]
IMG_2807.jpg
IMG_2807.jpg [ 109.06 KiB | Viewed 3595 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 6:14 am 

Dick,

thanks for the pictures. it looks like yours on 557 still has this feature I am looking for. if you can have someone get detail photos that would be a big help.

Upon further research these had to be a Pyle-national or some other supplier, as I am seeing these on Rio Grande K-36's as well. have found little in the way of any manufactures info to date.

Al P.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 5:59 pm 

Al P. wrote:
Dick,

thanks for the pictures. it looks like yours on 557 still has this feature I am looking for. if you can have someone get detail photos that would be a big help.

Upon further research these had to be a Pyle-national or some other supplier, as I am seeing these on Rio Grande K-36's as well. have found little in the way of any manufactures info to date.

Al P.

Al,

I'm surprised those rusted out so quick. I'm almost positive that atleast (2) of them were made new in 1991 for the startup at WMSR. I'll ask my father how he obtained the prints.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 6:08 pm 

co2707 wrote:
Al,

I'm surprised those rusted out so quick. I'm almost positive that atleast (2) of them were made new in 1991 for the startup at WMSR. I'll ask my father how he obtained the prints.

At the moment, we're focused on replacing the number board boxes on the MEC 557, which as best we can tell, are the original ones on the locomotive as built. The number board boxes on the 557 are in very poor condition and need to be dealt with sooner rather than later. I have not inspected the number boards boxes on the 1508 very closely, but they do not appear to be original to the locomotive as built. I would be curious to hear any history on this subject regarding the 1508 -- if they were replaced or restored at WMSR, or prior to that by the D&H?

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:39 pm 

From Engine 557 Restoration Company President and Project Manager, Patrick Durand -

Quote:
Here are some photos of the right side and corner of our Harriman number boards and the latch assembly with the weather cap both open and closed.

If this of any help, we can take the unit down from storage and take better pictures if they can be more specific as to what they want to see

Just for FYI There are two slots in for each insert. One at rear is about 1/4" to allow insertion of the frosted glass diffuser lens and one about 1/16" in front of that for the insertion of the number mask. You need to unlatch the weather cap at both ends and rotate it back to remove the mask and the diffuser lens.

This is the best of the photos he sent, it's with the weather cap open. Will send the others to you privately. Please send your email address by PM.

Attachments:
DSCF3889 reduced.jpg
DSCF3889 reduced.jpg [ 34.88 KiB | Viewed 3102 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:51 pm 

I am providing an update. Big thanks to Dick Morris , for the pictures he was able to provide thru his fellow member Pete, I have made the updates to my cad drawing to reflect this. basically a brass piece 1/4" square, and turned down to accept a spring and fit thru the alignment hole on the bottom.

It is very easy to see how this arraignment would have broken down over the years. the spring rusts and gets weak, then the brass part works loose and falls off, taking the spring with it. hopefully a stainless spring will help this as well.

as I had previously modeled this feature with out square hole I believe that on my sample was simply broken off.

Al Pomeroy

Attachments:
557NB detail.JPG
557NB detail.JPG [ 36.17 KiB | Viewed 2936 times ]