It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Craig R. Lefever March 16, 1967 - June 16, 2019
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:41 pm 

The Board of Directors of Strasburg Rail Road, America’s oldest short line railroad and one of Pennsylvania’s leading tourist attractions, shares the difficult news of Craig Lefever’s death. Lefever, who was named President of Strasburg Rail Road Company in December 2018, lost his battle with cancer on June 16, 2019. He was 52. Lefever succeeded Linn Moedinger, who retired from Strasburg Rail Road on December 21, 2018.

Lefever, who was hired by Strasburg Railroad Company (SRC) in 1987, was the 8th president to lead the company’s tourism, mechanical, and freight operations. Prior to taking the helm, Lefever served as Vice President (VP) and General Manager (GM) since 2011. During his 31-year tenure, Lefever held the positions of Compliance Officer and Car Shop Supervisor. Lefever resided in Millersville, PA.

As the Board of Directors begins its search for Lefever’s replacement, an interim leadership team has been put into place, overseeing the daily operations of the company which include passenger and freight service and contract work.

To respect the privacy of the Lefever family and employees of Strasburg Rail Road, all inquiries should be directed to board member Susan Nicholas, who is overseeing the leadership transition.

Founded in 1832, Strasburg Rail Road is one of Pennsylvania’s leading family attractions and is home to museum quality, working, turn-of-the century steam locomotives, freight cars, dining cars, private cars, and one of the largest fleets of historic wooden passenger cars in the world.

Post subject: Re: Craig R. Lefever March 16, 1967 - June 16, 2019
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:07 pm 

My favorite photo of Craig, executing a challenge from Andrea to eat the garnish from their plates at the spring 2018 HRA meeting. Linn looks on in alarm...

Attachment:
small20180414_191213.jpg
small20180414_191213.jpg [ 148.48 KiB | Viewed 3046 times ]

Post subject: Re: Craig R. Lefever March 16, 1967 - June 16, 2019
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:02 pm 

Kelly - Thank you for reposting this photo. I remember getting a good laugh the first time I saw it. Looks like a fun tight knit group. I have listened to Linn's important presentation on succession planning several times on the roundhouse podcast website. It is sadly ironic that his philosophies regarding succession planning have now been put to the test twice in such a short amount of time.

I have only been to SRR a couple of times and so I do not know anyone there except through the fine preservation work you do and the postings of you and several of your colleagues. It is apparent that Richie Maggs, your Boiler Shop Supervisor and Pressure Vessel QC Manager (and the originator of the flying turkey if I recall) who passed at 43, and now Craig Lefever at 52, both still had so much to give to their families, friends, colleagues on the SRR, and to all of us in the rail preservation community. My condolences to all of you.

This is a real test of an organization to grieve the loss of two friends and colleagues in such a short time span while implementing a successful succession plan as Linn outlined in his talk. It also drives home the importance of having presentations like Linn's available on the web so that organizational leaders can listen, listen again, and take heed.