It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hoard of narrow gauge equipment in England examined
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:49 pm 

I doubt that these guys had permission to be there. The owner acquired all this before dying in 2019 but apparently never restored any of it. Hopefully it doesn't all end up on a Dis-Nee type operation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuW9hKB-Ufw

Post subject: Re: Hoard of narrow gauge equipment in England examined
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:27 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
More discussion here:
https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/179657-ab ... her-stuff/

I believe--but cannot confirm without digging up a specific book--that this "Collection X" has been somewhat of an open secret in British preservation for decades, one of three "hidden stashes" fully documented but well obscured by the "official" tally of British rail preservation by the ARPS and Roger Crombleholme and Terry Kirtland in the early 1980s. I further understand this may have been the stash where said editors warned that "trespassers in the past have found themselves at gunpoint while being asked to leave; you have been warned."

It's now known as the Phyllis Rampton Narrow Gauge Railway Trust, and has aroused some degree of controversy by operation as a charitable foundation while barring public access to the artifacts.

Try looking here under County Surrey for a tally:
http://uklocos.com/first-search.asp

Much like the two West Va. Northern 2-8-0s (and the other steamers there seldom mentioned) near Madley, Pa. and the Fred Kepner collection, this appears to be yet another situation where self-entitled enthusiasts have turned off the owners to outside would-be preservation efforts. If the owner of "Collection X" is indeed now deceased, I wonder what efforts are being made--if any--for long-term preservation of this lot. I believe the Vale of Rheidol Railway has been modestly involved of late.

Last edited by Alexander D. Mitchell IV on Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:40 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
A ten-year thread here; the most recent entries reference this video, removed from the forum for being apparently a "trespassing" incident........

https://www.national-preservation.com/t ... n-x.56617/

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:01 pm 

I suspect the reports of this collection derive at least partly from the records kept by the Industrial Railway Society, which was once described as having more spies than the CIA and KGB put together. The IRS publishes stock books every few years which list every known self propelled unit in the British isles not owned by a main line company, usually with an Ordonance Survey map reference giving the location of the depot within 10 metres. Army locomotives included, and down to the last petrol inspection trolley.

I was once contacted by a member of the IRS who gave me a complete service history of an ex-army locomotive in which I have an interest: every depot it had worked at from 1944, with dates, details of the engineering firms which had restored it, date sold to National Coal Board etc.

Collection X was mentioned in said works - but without the map reference. I first came across it as a schoolboy in a publication called "Leitheads Stockbook of Preserved Locomotives, 1971 Edition", it was a much shorter list then, for Collection X and generally.

I believe most of the locomotives are planned to end up in Aberystwyth, once there is somewhere to put them.