It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MoPac Caboose near Gaithersburg MD
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:56 am 

You guys probably know about the railroad equipment in Gaithersburg MD: BC&G 14, a caboose, and the B&O RDC. Well driving down the same road that enters into the Gaithersburg depot and museum, I found a caboose right by the tracks in nearby Washington Grove, MD. Not able to take a good look at the caboose myself, I went on google maps to confirm that, yes I wasn’t seeing things. Located at a place called Action Dumpsters of all things, right near the Washington Grove Post Office.
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.138562, ... a=!3m1!1e3

Looking on the google street view app, I was also able to find that the caboose is lettered for the MoPac of all railroads. And checking the equipment database I was able to find that the number of this caboose was 13577.

Anyone know how this particular caboose got there?

Post subject: Re: MoPac Caboose near Gaithersburg MD
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:05 pm 

It has been there for years now as I recall. I believe it is owned by that company who uses that property.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:48 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
As long as you're in the area, check out the caboose behins 7316 Muncaster Mill Road--private property, but a rare instance of a caboose literally in someone's backyard.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:50 pm 

I met the owner years ago right as he was having it delivered. He is not particularly a railfan, but he wanted an office for his hauling company and though a caboose would be fun. It was delivered by CSX on its own trucks to the Rockville team track just off Gude Drive and the owner trucked it to his property from there.