It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Latest news from AT&SF 2926 group
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:57 am 

As previously mentioned, the New Mexico Steam Locomotive Restoration web page is in a state of “suspended animation”, so I figured I would share the latest update for those who don’t frequent Facebook....

As promised here is the latest report from our CMO! Fingers crossed on the long awaited tool car in Ohio. If you would like to donate to that project, plz go to www.2926.us. Thank you!

Since I last wrote we have been dealing with one leaky flange set on one of the saturated steam pipes from the steam dome to the steam fountain. We are having a new gasket cut and will test it again Wednesday.

I had a conversation at length with our tool car inspector. He said the trucks can now be reassembled. Hopefully we can get the car here in ABQ by this fall.

This past week a representative from NMDOT and officials from Herzog inspected the track leading into our restoration site. Herzog reps suggested that due to the weight of the 2926, the switch and the curved portion be upgraded to Class 2. The state owns that portion of the track, but their agreement to maintain spur lines to Class 1 only. We, as users, will need to pay the difference between the cost of Class 1 and Class 2. We don't have an estimate at this time.

The MU box on the rear of the locomotive has been wired completely. The new jumper cable to the tender was installed. Electricians also completed the installation of all service lights for nighttime operations as needed.

The foundry volunteers have embarked on a fundraising project. We have been asked to provide the brass bearing boxes for the Cumbres & Toltec Railroad in Chama, NM. The initial order is more than 40 pieces and may go over 80.

Hope to see everyone that can be there at the site this week. We are hot this week, so hydrate and use sunscreen as needed, and as always...

Keep on Steamin',
Rick Kirby
CMO. NMSL&RHS

Post subject: Re: Latest news from AT&SF 2926 group
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:56 am 

There are not a lot of differences between Class 1 track and Class 2 track.
You go from 5 non-defective ties to 8 for every 39 feet of track on tangent track, and 6 to 9 on curved track more than 2 degrees. The joint tie standard (1 non-defective tie centered within 24 inches of the joint) doesn't change.

The gage goes from 58 inches to 57-3/4 inches as the maximum allowed.
62-foot mid-ordinate alinement deviation (difference between what it is and what is should be) goes from 5 inches to 3 inches. This is the difference between the average degree on curves to any location - tangent track is straight.

There are a few other geometry items (surface, uniform profile, warp, crosslevel, etc.) found in 49 CFR Part 213.63, but for Class 1 and 2 track, it has to look pretty bad to be an issue.

The ties are probably the only real issue, and that is not much. I teach the track standards all across the country, so just ask if you have questions.

Bart

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:43 am 

Finderskeepers wrote:
As previously mentioned, the New Mexico Steam Locomotive Restoration web page is in a state of “suspended animation”, so I figured I would share the latest update for those who don’t frequent Facebook....

Is there a reason the page isn't updated? Technical issue or other?

-otto-

Rochester, N.Y.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:26 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
It had been mentioned in a post earlier that the person "in charge" of their Facebook page had been having some medical/personal issues needing his full attention.

This is yet another reminder that if you're going to have an online presence, assure that more than one person has full access to the website/Fabebook account/etc. This assures that if the person who does the work on said resource dies, falls ill, goes to jail, or quits, someone else can swiftly step in to commandeer the site, change the passwords, issue the new passwords to other officers, etc.

Maintaining an online presence and promotion is THE PERFECT task for either a retired, less-abled person that can't paint/grind/man a car OR a young, enthusiastic volunteer that seems unable to pull his nose from his smartphone screen.

This is also where, if you have an active and functioning presence (a frequently open museum, regular excursions, etc.), it's worth the investment to hire a small internet services company to maintain and update your website, to address the issues of domain registration and having to upgrade your platform architecture from time to time, never mind constructive advice about how to best compose and utilize your page/account. Most of us don't have the complexity of needing merchandise/ticket ordering/fulfilment software or the like, but hopefully you regularly have events worthy of being promoted (Easter Bunny/Santa trips, programs, special excursions, fund-raising campaigns, etc.).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:58 pm 

Getting back to the topic of Class 1 vs. Class 2 track. I would offer the thought that it would be cheap insurance to have the track in as sound of a condition as possible within reason. The cost and heartbreak that putting that million pound big girl on the ground would be well spent in keeping her on the track in the first place.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:20 am 

For what it's worth, they are playing catch up in the Photos section on the website. Three new updates have been posted in the last few days.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:00 pm 

I have it on good authority that the engine will undergo another test fire this coming Monday and Tuesday, I'm guessing to test out the work on the fountain and several recently replaced valves and gaskets elsewhere on the engine. The pistons are apparently still not installed, so it will be a static test, but if successful will allow them to "button her up"

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:27 am 

Seems like the most likely scenario that would put some axles on the ground (goddess forbid) would be gauge widening or a rail rolling over. A decent number of gauge bars might be a worthy investment.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:32 pm 

She’s hot this morning...

Attachments:
079381F4-D97C-4B4D-B190-BFD614ADCAFF.jpeg
079381F4-D97C-4B4D-B190-BFD614ADCAFF.jpeg [ 137.81 KiB | Viewed 7929 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:34 pm 

Are her pistons in?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:57 pm 

Finderskeepers wrote:
She’s hot this morning...

Okay, on the rear of 2926's tender, I get that 7170 G.O. means 7,170 Gallons of Oil and that 24500 G.W. means 24,500 Gallons of Water. But, what does S.858 signify?

Les

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:35 am 

2926 finally sounded her voice under steam for the first time in over 60 years, a momentous occasion for those who have spent years working on her waiting for this
moment. You can hear it here
https://www.instagram.com/p/B0mxT-UHu6e ... hare_sheet

I know her pistons are not in yet, but should be soon. I will try to find out what the number means on the back of the tender for you

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:53 am 

Another steam accomplishment. Keep up your wonderful, worthwhile, work. Nice job Albuquerque!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:00 am 

Quote:
"But, what does S.858 signify?"

Flue sand capacity?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:30 pm 

The latest fundraiser...

Attachments:
2926__Help_pay_for_Class_2_compliance_a_5d530c295a320.jpg
2926__Help_pay_for_Class_2_compliance_a_5d530c295a320.jpg [ 52.13 KiB | Viewed 6951 times ]