It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2926 is well on her way to being “buttoned up”
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:00 am 

The Baldwin Disc drivers were part of the post war refit of the 2900 class with Timken lightweight roller bearing rods. I don't remember precisely why the Baldwin discs were installed, but it was probably because the refit reduced the need for counterbalancing on that set of drivers; I'd have to check. The others are a Boxpok design, but I think Dennis is right about the source; I'm pretty sure at least one of those is original to 2926, but one of the others has been under at least two or three other locomotives, including a 5001 class.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:12 pm 

Mike, you mean the driver centers for the 5001/5011 class are the same size as the 2900s? They make up the whole difference in the tire thickness? Wow!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:36 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
oops.....

Last edited by Alexander D. Mitchell IV on Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:55 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Latest update this morning, from their Facebook page:

Quote:
The SBRHS would like to extend a warm thank you to our friends at the BNSF Railway Foundation for their generous donation of $10,000!

These funds will play an essential role in helping the SBRHS complete 3751's current 1472 boiler inspection, dubbed the "15 year rebuild." We are extremely grateful for #BNSF's support of this project and their ongoing assistance of 3751 operations.

Think we're done sharing good news? Not quite!

The SBRHS' upcoming newsletter, the "Second Section" is at the printers with another exciting announcement that our supporters will be the first to hear. Once these copies begin to land in mailboxes across the country, we'll then share the news here as well. If you'd like to see the news first as a supporter, however, you can sign up to become a one here: https://www.sbrhs.org/support-3751/donate-membership/

Once more, thank you to the BNSF Railway Foundation. Your support will help keep 3751 steaming for another 15 years and beyond!

Heh. Wrong giant Santa Fe 4-8-4.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:12 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
As frequently as I get updates one way or another from 2926's group, and as seldom as I get updates from 3751's group, it was bound to happen..........

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:40 pm 

Quote:
"What type are the other three sets of drivers? Thanks!

Unless I am very badly mistaken, the pairs in question are Boxpok, made under license by Baldwin, and explicitly so marked on the driver centers.

I believe the small ATSF Hudson, 3450, has LFM drivers 'as rebuilt'; they have a distinctive hole shape. steamlocomotive.com says the rebuilt 3400 class Pacifics have "Boxpok" but I believe these are LFM also...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:30 pm 

Overmod -

Perhaps we could get a photo of a Boxpok driver and an LFM driver side-by-side, so that of us who are novices, might be able to compare them. Perhaps a photo of the 3rd and 4th set on the 2926 would be a good way to do it. Anyone got a camera?

Les

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:09 pm 

Yes, that would be helpful. I suggested LFM because I know the Santa Fe was a big user, but really can't see the drivers well in any of the photos.

As for a tutorial on "disc" drivers, this page is good:

https://www.steamlocomotive.com/types/drivers/

The LFM product is listed last, under the name the name Universal Disc Driver, but the actual driver centers have LFM in the casting.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:27 pm 

There is no confusion between Locomotive Finished Material (if I remember correctly the name changed somewhere over the production lifetime) drivers and Boxpok; there are (in my opinion at least) far more differences than similarities. The difficulty is in distinguishing the 'late' LFM production (which went away from the pie-slice/triangular shield shaped holes to a more oval style) from the 'late' Baldwin Discs (which could lack the 'stiffening ribs' giving Art Deco flair to the spokes as seen on the PRR S1, the ATSF 3460 class, and the D&RGW M-68 as built). To my knowledge all the 'popular' ATSF rebuilds that got Universals have the vaguely guitar-pick-like characteristic rimmed holes.

BTW: the stylish driver centers on the Lionel 2-8-4 are styled after Baldwin Disc. And last I looked, rebuilt T&P Texas type 610 had a Baldwin Disc main hiding in there ... it's relatively easy to see once you are aware it's there.

Engine 2912 actually has 'Baldwin Disc' visibly cast into its #4 pair; I wouldn't be surprised to find 2926 to be the same. Anyone have the patience to delve back through the extensive photo records of the restoration to see if this is so?

I will see what I can put together for good comparison shots.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:56 pm 

I was looking through some of the previously posted pictures, and I'm curious about a couple of things. First, the diesel MU control box is really nice, definitely a 1st class professional job!
http://www.nmslrhs.org/Photos/2019/08-03/P7290296.html

The box above the forward cab window with what looks to be a picture of a small computer screen, what is this proposed to be?
http://www.nmslrhs.org/Photos/2019/08-03/123952.html

And finally, the "LeapTC", what is this device? What is it's intended purpose?
http://www.nmslrhs.org/Photos/2019/08-03/P7290293.html

Always curious about "modern technology" being installed on a steam locomotive! Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:23 pm 

From the August 3 post:
Attachment:
DSCN7804.jpg
DSCN7804.jpg [ 215.7 KiB | Viewed 4528 times ]

Three Boxpok and a Baldwin Disc. 'Baldwin Disc' and Boxpok markings opposite the CWs. No ribs on these discs though. And the labels:
Attachment:
Baldw Boxpok.png
Baldw Boxpok.png [ 347.74 KiB | Viewed 4519 times ]

Attachment:
Baldw Disc.png
Baldw Disc.png [ 322.58 KiB | Viewed 4519 times ]