Post subject: C-1 Main Reservoir Cut off Valve
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:57 am 

Attachment:
C-1 Cut off.jpg
C-1 Cut off.jpg [ 23.52 KiB | Viewed 3442 times ]
Attachment:
C-1 OMI Publication.001.pdf [852.63 KiB]
Downloaded 366 times

Our ALCO's have this C-1 Main Reservoir cut off valve, which seems to be rare nowadays. I don't have many spares.

Since our EMD's don't have this device, or anything similar, I'd like to know if it can be replaced or removed from the system. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,

Eric

Post subject: Re: C-1 Main Reservoir Cut off Valve
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:20 pm 

I worked on a lot of EMD's over the years and only ran across those valves when we acquired several Alstom rebuilds that used Canadian SD-40's as cores to upgrade to dash-2's. They are still rebuildable. Spring Ridge rail services which is now owned by Railserve did them for me when Tri annual air changes came due. Another very good company to check for all sorts of AAR approved air brake components and gaskets is Multi-Service a division of the Buncher Corporation in Leetsdale Pa. I've been to their facility and it was amazing how many different test stands they had for the various valves. They work on everything from #6 to #26 engine brakes and most types of railcar valves. Although I can't speak to eliminating those valves, just never had to.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:26 pm 

If you facebook, go to the ALCo Locomotive Operators group, there are a few ALCo Experts there that could answer your question.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:05 pm 

The C-1 goes in the branch pipe to the MR equalizing line and as the description states it guards against total loss of air from broken MR equalizing pipe or parted MR hose. The MR equalizing pipe should feed off the #1 main reservoir. There should be a check valve between #1 and #2 main reservoir witch will provide adequate protection from total loss of air from the system. Air for brake system functionality is pulled from the #2 reservoir and upon loss of air from MR brakes will set up.

EBL