It is currently Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tennessee Pass route may be sold
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:38 am 

Wow ya. I imagine rail traffic will take a big hit with the covid19 economic impact unfortunately.

I had no idea there was only a train or two a day on the Moffat and feather river line now. Seems like a massive expense to maintain all that with such little traffic.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:53 pm 

Tom paints a bleaker picture of the Moffatt Route than is reality. I live on it, not just visit it, and judging by the amount of horns I hear at work and at home, there is still good traffic. Just not as much as there was back in the day.

What I know of, for example, is that there are the two Amtrak trains. There are two daily BNSF manifests, one eastbound and one westbound. BNSF is also running oil trains several times a week out of Wellington Utah heading east. Union Pacific may not be running Denver-Provo manifests any more but they have a few trains, such as "grocery coal" trains heading to California, the MROHP (Roper to Helper), and the Sunnyside Local that serves the East Carbon Development Company landfil. There are also frack sand trains coming into Wellington westbound. Intermountain Power Project is still receiving coal loaded at Skyline and Savage and as far as I know at West Elk as well. Utah Railway, while no longer hauling coal, is shuttling tank cars back and forth between Wild Cat and Provo over Soldier Summit. The Potash Local still runs once a week out of Grand Junction. Today in Helper, I saw the MROHP, the Sunnyside local, an IPP coal train, an eastbound grain train, and two westbound oil/sand trains. So there is a good bit of traffic.

The problem is that these trains do not all operate on the same days, and most of them reach "civilization" after dark or before sunrise. So if you are a railfan looking for action, you will have to be lucky like I was today.

Josh B.
The official D&RGW 223 website

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:41 pm 

The westbound California Zephyr will terminate at Denver from now on because of a lack of crews:

https://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2 ... yr-service

My parents live 200' from the line west of Denver, they are just now returning after spending the winter in AZ, so I should hear soon what is still running up there.