It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Great fundraising idea from NMIH
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:59 am 

This is a very interesting fundraising idea: the National Museum of Industrial History is auctioning off a private tour of historic industrial sites in the Lehigh Valley, PA area with museum historian and regional expert Mike Piersa. There are many sites to see that the average person would overlook, and Mike knows the history of them all. Have any of your museums/groups done something like this? It’s seems like a great idea for folks in areas with rich industrial or rail history.

https://m.charityauctionstoday.com/m/auctions/9303/items/onetanktripthroughindustrialhistory-190050

Post subject: Re: Great fundraising idea from NMIH
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:19 am 

I have heard of art museums and the like doing Director's or President's Tours for high prices or large donations. They stress that the Very Important Person is also very knowledgeable about the collection, and usually, a good speaker. I have suggested similar guided tours at trolley museums, but found that while there are knowledgeable officials, they are not comfortable with public speaking to the unknown public, no matter how much they might pay.

Post subject: Re: Great fundraising idea from NMIH
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:52 pm 

JimBoylan wrote:
I have heard of art museums and the like doing Director's or President's Tours for high prices or large donations. They stress that the Very Important Person is also very knowledgeable about the collection, and usually, a good speaker. I have suggested similar guided tours at trolley museums, but found that while there are knowledgeable officials, they are not comfortable with public speaking to the unknown public, no matter how much they might pay.

Sounds like they need to identify volunteers in their organizations who have public speaking skills and train them. I've done museum guided tours and now have no fear of public speaking.