It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any members of the IRMList Yahoo Group here?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:31 pm 

As has been discussed in other threads, access to Yahoo Groups will end this Saturday.

Some Yahoo Groups have migrated their archives to a new service - groups.io. However, it looks like the IRMlist Yahoo Group wasn't one of them.

There is a utility that can download the entire group:
http://www.personalgroupware.com/

I have been using it for the past week to capture as many groups that I can that haven't migrated. The software developer has been providing active support and there is a good forum where users have been sharing trouble shooting tips.

Are there any members of the IRMList Yahoo Group that could download the group. I estimate that, using the software above, it will take about 4-5 hours of mostly unsupervised computer time.

The IRMList is worth preserving somewhere, whether it makes it back onto the internet or it lives on a server at the IRM archives. There were many important developments that happened in the 2000-2015 time period (when the IRMList was most active) that will shape the museum for years to come.

I'm going to try to save the IRMList, but I might run out of time as I'm also trying to preserve other groups that didn't migrate to groups.io.

Please send me a PM or reply to this message if I can be of any help.

Post subject: Re: Any members of the IRMList Yahoo Group here?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:38 pm 

There's been a stay of execution until January 31st, 2020, but you will have to send in a request to yahoo.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/10/210 ... -date-time

The Soo Line, WC and Soo/Milwaukee groups also contain loads of technical and roster information, as well as the recollections of former employees and historians who have since passed away.

Post subject: Re: Any members of the IRMList Yahoo Group here?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:20 pm 

The tool that Yahoo offers only downloads the data that was contributed by the person associated with that e-mail.

The software that I mentioned will capture the entire group - all files, posts, photos.

From all indications that software will no longer be effective after 11:59 pacific time tonight when Yahoo ends access to groups.