It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Baldwin 'Sharknose' locomotives will eventually go to museum
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:05 pm 

Behind the pay wall. Last I heard, they're not owned by Larkin if that's what the article says.

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... owner-says

Post subject: Re: Baldwin 'Sharknose' locomotives will eventually go to mu
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:48 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
The article behind the paywall doesn't give much more in the way of details than what was stated in the headline, but outlines a basic history of the loco model and the duo in UP Michigan.

These plans have been alleged by members of Larkin's "inner circle" for over a decade. The only question is which museum(s) will get them. The Trains Newswire article states that Larkin says the selection "is yet to be determined."

In a perfectly rail-museum-curated world, at least one would go to the RR Museum of Pa., as Sharks hit a "grand slam" of everything the Museum represents: Built at Baldwin in Pa., they ran on the NYC, Monongahela, and D&H, all railroads that ran in Pa. and have slim representation at the Museum. The Baldwin experts at SMS Services are not that far away, either.....

A second might go to a favored museum that would be capable of restoring it to operation and/or at least keeping it in good condition--Illinois Railway Museum, Lake Superior RR Museum (where Larkin is a director), National Museum of Transportation, National Railroad Museum in nearby Green Bay, etc.

But any such discussion, of course, is "telling someone else what to do with his stuff for your satisfaction," so I should shut up now.

From what I am personally aware of, the Sharks are only the highlight of an "amazing, jaw-dropping" collection of rolling stock squirrelled away "somewhere" (start the rumors of the underground bunkers and whatnot). Even what has been left far out in the open should invite approaches by Southeastern museums--a healthy stash of former Seaboard Air Line RS-12 road switchers, stored in plain sight right along a public boat ramp parking lot in Wells.........

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:07 pm 

Trains: Many railfans are perplexed as to why the units are not available for viewing and why nothing has been done with them over the years."

I am one of them.

Trains: "[Larkin's] interest in railway preservation has resulted in his amassing a large collection of passenger cars and locomotives, but it is his personal, private collection and therefore is not open to the public."

Oh well, moving on. I have a life.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:16 pm 

psa188 wrote:
Trains: Many railfans are perplexed as to why the units are not available for viewing and why nothing has been done with them over the years."

I am one of them.

Various "railfans" and vandals had stolen builders plates, other collectible parts while in storage outside, so the owner brought them inside, and locked them away where they were "almost" never seen again. A couple of photos leaked out a few years ago of the units sitting inside - but nothing since.

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:31 pm 

Keeping a large amount of rolling stock stored indoors is more expensive than many would think, whether you own the building or not.

Out of respect for the owner, I'm willing to hold off on speculating and wait until things actually start to move to find out exactly where they will go.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:20 pm 

If I remember an ages-old TRAINS article about the Escabana & Lake Superior, what finally soured Larkin completely on outsiders visiting, was a "Railfan" who was injured while trespassing on the property that subsequently sued him! Can't say that I blame him, really.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:29 pm 

Isn’t this the same guy who also apparently owns a skytop lounge car?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:47 pm 

Yes he apparently also owns a Skytop lounge kept inside as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:22 pm 

The real question lurking behind this what shape are the sharks in now a days. Prime movers any good? The sharks are a extinct breed to begin with.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:02 pm 

Steamguy73 wrote:
Isn’t this the same guy who also apparently owns a skytop lounge car?

From what I've heard, along with the Sharknoses and the skytop lounge, there is also a Milwaukee Road "Super Dome," a PRR doodlebug, a very historic catholic chapel car, a number of Soo Line heavyweights, a couple of steam locomotives, and two electric cars. Among other things.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:38 pm 

There have been several reason circulated on why open season was declared on railfans at the E&LS.

One was the injury story.

another was the constant trespass and entry into sacred places.

another was that Baldwin stamped critical information on the builders plate of each block that is required to set the injectors valves etc. (I am curious, not having worked on Baldwin diesels, if someone can confirm this fact), and one night a collector/railfans removed/liberated/stole a number of these plates from locomotives and rendered them unrepairable.

Regardless of the reasons Mr. Larkin has put his money where his mouth is by stepping up and not just preserving, but properly restoring a fleet of historic equipment that otherwise would be mostly lost by now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:56 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
the Alco kid wrote:
The real question lurking behind this what shape are the sharks in now a days. Prime movers any good? The sharks are a extinct breed to begin with.

From the article:
Quote:
No. 1216 was briefly used by E&LS in the summer of 1979; No. 1205 had mechanical issues and remained stored. No. 1216 saw another revival in autumn 1982, but after a few trips between the railroad’s headquarters in Wells and Channing the unit’s crankshaft broke and it has been stored ever since.

The place is "surrounded" by Baldwin locos with 606 (i.e. six-cylinder) engines.
The Sharks have 608 (i.e 8-cylinder) engines.

This is the first I've heard of the crankshaft being "broken;" what I had been hearing for years was "badly scored."

Who has a giant 3D printer?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:10 pm 

While I never doubted this, good to see it confirmed.

He obviously hasn't been protecting this equipment since before I was born in 1982 just to see it scrapped after his death, which hopefully will be quite a few years from now. He cares about the history of this industry and wants that story to be told, and by extension was protecting these two pieces under cover since he believed they had a valuable part of that story to tell.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:37 pm 

Good news this sharknoses would be preserved.

I'm glad to see Larkin confirm this, but why only after his death? I respect his choice but I am sad that he is waiting. Why not now?? It's more fun to see the shark restored and maybe in use in a museum when I'm alive not dead.

Now the next question is who is the winner?

LSRM
IRM
NRM
MoT at st-louis
Another???
Steamtown
Canadian Railroad Museum maybe :D

I at last the 1205 and 1216 together or not??

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:01 am 

The MILW Skytop Lounge he has is #187 "Coon Rapids," still in UP colors, apparently.
The Super Dome is supposedly #51.