It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
 Post subject: Re: East Broad Top sale
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:37 am 

It is a chicken or egg question. Websites require resources and labor to keep updated, and Facebook just makes it so easy. For example, many of the music clubs and recreational facilities here in Copenhagen have their weekly schedules on Facebook, and not on their website, and this is because the schedule changes quickly, weekly, and Facebook does not require a skilled user to update.

So if customers become accustomed to finding the most recent information on Facebook, of course that is where one's survey will show the leads.

If I am looking for information on train tickets for the national rail carrier, I don't go to Facebook. I expect the rail operator's website to be complete and accurate.

I think it would be interesting to see this data from, for example, Durango and Silverton, but as a competitive private business, I doubt they will share that data.

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
Those are suppositions and unverified assertions, not "facts." Those statements look suspiciously like they were written by Zuckerberg's marketing team.

Has any excursion operation or museum recently done a patronage survey asking where/how visitors learned about the place's existence, special events, promotions, etc.? If so, did they show that the vast majority of people learned about them through any form of "social media"?

I do not discount the ability of social media to reach potential audiences. But the fact remains that unless an operation is paying substantial amounts over time to Facebook, Instagram, etc., to push posts to targeted audiences outside their followers, it's still "preaching to the converted." I've even followed up on certain posts at our NRHS Chapter or special event page with people I know are on FB and a target audience, only to find that FB algorithms chose not to let that follower see the posts in question. (One music festival that chose to cancel because of COVID concerns made the grave mistake of ONLY posting the cancellation on its FB page and e-mails to performers and business partners, only to end up fielding hundreds of queries for confirmation once word of mouth spread, and a hundred or more STILL showed up at the site at the scheduled day and time.)

I've always been careful, when visiting a "new" rail attraction, to tell the gatekeepers how I've known or learned about the place in question. At least twice of late, in complete honesty, I've held up the Kalmbach Tourist Trains Guidebook. And at least once recently, I tried to slip in as just an "average Joe" customer, only to be recognized and given a backshop tour......

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:53 pm 

Hello everyone! I'm Jonathan and I'm the Director of Sales and Marketing for the EBT Foundation. Thank you all for your continued support of the East Broad Top, and the Foundation, as we continue our effort to restore the EBT and operate it as a world-class heritage attraction. Having grown up volunteering/working in the tourist railroad industry... I am still pinching myself every time I walk into work and am very blessed to be a part of such an important project.

I just wanted to chime in and share a bit of what I've learned this year about what it will take to promote the EBT. I think any discussion about marketing in this industry is essential. At the end of the day, butts in seats keep the lights on and allow us to accomplish our primary goal of education and interpretation. There are plenty of folks on this forum who have marketed railroads, so I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, but there were some things mentioned in this thread that I wanted to give my two cents on.

Having a healthy marketing mix is crucial to any strategy. This year, we've been focusing on the mediums that will attract "local" attention, either folks that live in the immediate area or are currently inside our immediate area. First, we needed to ensure that those within our county, and the surrounding counties, know that we are reopening. We did this by partnering with local media channels for special interest stories, using as many community event calendars as possible for special events, radio advertisements, sponsorships, and of course, social media. When looking at our ridership data, both payment zip code and survey questions confirm that this strategy worked. The majority of our ridership has come from within the areas that we targeted using those channels. There is still plenty of work to be done to ensure that our community knows that we are on the way back... but as our schedule becomes more consistent and as events return annually, this will happen naturally.

Someone earlier in this thread acknowledged the need for a complete and easy-to-navigate website… which is the most essential part of any marketing strategy to succeed. Facebook, and most other types of promotion, simply direct potential customers to your website… where the rest of the work begins to achieve a conversion. If any information is missing, hard to find, or purchasing is challenging to manage, you will lose their conversion. As our Google Analytics data rolled in, we've worked throughout the summer to address any significant issues and hopefully refine the booking process. For example, as it was originally developed, our website had little "responsive" work completed, meaning that it was challenging to navigate on a mobile device. Most of those issues were quickly rectified, and our mobile bounce rate continues to decline while our website traffic continues to climb. With every ticket purchase, we ask the "how did you hear about this event or ride" question and are constantly collecting internal data about what channels are working.

At the same time, we are beginning to develop a strategic marketing strategy that will allow us to begin promoting on a regional and national level. It has also been pointed out just how important market segmentation is, and we've been slowly learning more about our current demographics. I've generally identified three types of visitors. First, of course, are the railfans. Like me, these folks already know what the EBT is, why it is significant, and are invested in progress updates and want to know when any major events will occur. As with any market, there are still plenty within the enthusiast segement that still haven't heard about the EBT, or don't quite understand what all the fuss is about, so we will continue to explore the best ways to promote within that group. The second segment are the "leisure travelers", which itself must be further segmented into many, many categories (retiree, families, students, adventurer, etc.) These folks seek an authentic, fun, and memorable experience… and expect you to provide that. It is my experience that this segment usually makes up the majority of tourist railroad's ridership... when we say we want to interpret our heritage to new audiences... these are the riders we are talking about! The third segment that we are fortunate to have here at the EBT are what I'm calling the "nostalgic riders". These are the folks who were brought to the EBT as kids, who are returning to bring their kids… or the grandparents bringing two generations to enjoy the railroad. They are definitely predisposed to how amazing the EBT, they have great memories from long ago, and just need a gentle reminder that we were here. Public attention is easy to lose, especially after nearly a decade of being closed.

My final note is about Facebook, and social media in general. I would certainly not consider it a "lazy" way of promoting your product. Many don't realize that, depending on the circumstance, I usually spend between 20-45 minutes preparing each post. I often schedule our posts at least a week in advance so that I can focus on the following week, which requires at least a basic plan and timeline. More significant or involved posts take even longer to craft the right message. There are several types of content you can produce, depending on your goals with that post... and there are 365 days to fill with engaging content. Are you sharing information about a cool project? Are you announcing a new product or service? Are you trying to encourage website traffic, and therefore sales? Are you informing the public about newsworthy events? Are you soliciting donations? What type of photo best conveys what you are trying to say? Can you say what you want to in "short-form" without losing the reader's attention? Which of those is going to be the best candidate to create an advertisement from? Which are likely to gain traction and hopefully grow our audience in the form of followers or likes? Social Media is so much more than just posting a good picture, and is a key part of controlling your narrative and telling your story in any modern market while also being responsible for a large number of conversions within many different segments.

I've enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts and plan to update RYPN on the EBT's behalf when possible. I truly believe that this is one of the greatest comebacks in preservation, railroad or otherwise, and the best is yet to come!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:39 pm 

Figured I'd drege this thread up since #16 has been test-fired (Hydro was in May 2022) for some other news:

1. The ROW south of Rockhill is being cleared. As far as I've seen on Facebook, Jordan Summit is now open to daylight. The foundation apparently hopes to make the railroad accessible to speeders as far as the siding at Pogue by year's end.

2. A solicitation for bids for the needed on the 268-foot Pogue Bridge should be awarded soon. The siding is to the south of the bridge, so it's a necessary step to reopening the line to Saltillo. The trusses and abutments are in good shape, so the two piers are the focus of work.

3. A short approx. 900 foot section in Three Springs, by the community pool, was exhumed from the dirt and gauged for speeders. The EBT was present at the community carnival over Memorial Day weekend and gave free speeder and handcar rides on this section that hasn't seen traffic since...well, I think the M-1 in the early 60s?

4. The two tunnels have been given an inspection via drones--both are considered unsafe for human entry--which returned video and LIDAR data for determining the best course of action to reopen them.

5. The yard at Robertsdale has been cleared of brush and trees. About a mile of the main through the yard has been gauged for the FEBT's handcar to use (just about to Mine No. 5). The lumber gained from this clearing will be used by the railroad for other projects.

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... p-tunnels/

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... ine-south/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24