It is currently Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
 Post subject: Re: East Broad Top sale
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 8:59 pm 

kevin kohls wrote:
I'm kind of surprised that #15 wasn't chosen since it was the engine most recently overhauled.

Kevin K

EBT 15 received a 1,472 Service Day Inspection back in 2005 to make her legal to operate under Part 230, but a 1,472 is not the same thing as an "overhaul" or "rebuild." It's a boiler inspection, as well as any repairs needed to pass that inspection. Certainly, when I saw her at the last spectacular in 2011, she did not look like an engine that had been overhauled at any time in the recent past. She had problems during the event and was withdrawn from service and replaced with a diesel at one point. Ridden hard and put away wet would probably be a better way to describe 15.

/Kevin Madore

Post subject: Re: East Broad Top sale
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 7:18 am 

o anderson wrote:
......the EBT is perhaps the closest thing the US has to the Ffestiniog railway in the UK. [/url]

Hello,

Per O Anderson's comment, it reminds me of the detailed website maintained the late Ben Fisher on the Welsh Highland Railway Project. It appears this website is now on archive status but recalled checking it constantly during the WHR reconstruction. Extremely interesting on what they had to go through on the right of way preparation, civil design and extensive track laying. As I recall detailed chronologies were also provided on the former SAR Garratt NGG16 restorations at Boston Lodge.

Here is a link to the archived site:

https://www.whrsoc.org.uk/WHRProject/index.htm

In today's world perhaps a virtual platform can be the historical record medium versus a hard copy book. This WHR website took a lot of effort to maintain but was so helpful to those who wanted to follow the rebuilding and redevelopment of the railway. Not sure if Facebook is a polished but is possibly a more accessible platform and takes less effort to maintain.

Part of building the excitement and support for the EBT rebirth is having this resource available.

Not sure what the world is going to look like when and if COVID ever ends but wishing the best for the foundation. Perhaps its remoteness could help in the initial restoration but of course butts in seats = $ and that is going to be difficult moving forward.

Regards

Randy Musselman

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 302 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21