It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need a Jackson tamper manual
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:51 am 

The Amador Central Railroad group in California has acquired a Jackson 4000 switch tamper. Evidently there were only 5 of these made in the late '60s and early 70's. Harsco has nothing available, I was hoping someone out there may have a manual to help us out. Thanks in advance!- J. Chris Allan

Post subject: Re: Need a Jackson tamper manual
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:39 am 

Now there's a model of switch tamper I've never heard of. Can you share a few pics?

Rob Gardner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:57 am 

Only five built from what I am told.
JCA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:11 pm 

At Maryland & Pennsylvania RR Preservation Society, we had 4 different Jackson 4000 ballast tampers. One of these, a narrow gauge unit, is now at the NJ Museum of transportation and appears on their website. Three remain here at M&PRRPS. Two are partially scrapped hulks, while the third is complete and actively being repaired. That one is serial # 114644, which I have been told was the first Jackson tamper produced. This machine has the Wisconsin engine and originally only had brakes on the powered axle. We have the operator's manual but have lost the shop and parts manual. I am familiar with these machines and may be able to help. We have been able to get some parts from Harsco, as the electric tamping motors were used on some later models.

Daniel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:55 pm 

Kovalchick Salvage Company has three or four of these machines in their yard in Indiana PA. All are derelict but they seem fairly complete and there is a scattering of various parts for them lying about on the ground. They could probably be had for a reasonable cost.
I had all of the manuals for the ones at Muddy Creek Forks when I was superintendent there in the 1980's but many seem to have disappeared...….

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:10 pm 

Thanks all! Turns out the CCT had the manual way in the back of one of their storage containers. We're real lucky they just didn't throw it out years ago.

Stay safe,
Chris Allan
Amador Central Railroad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:13 am 

There must have been more than five made. We have three here at Muddy Creek Forks, there is the narrow gauge unit at NJ Museum of Transportation, One at Amador Central, CA, plus the three hulks at Kovalchick Salvage. Is it possible the manual could be scanned and shared? I also have Harsco Rail checking their archives. Need a parts list. Have not had any luck yet matching up the tamping motor bearings.

Daniel