It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anyone Undertaking Deferred Maintenance?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:05 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Flashback time:
When CSX's Howard Street Tunnel in Baltimore, Md. had a derailment and fire in July 2001 and the tunnel and the main line upon which it depended was shut down for several days, I remember seeing CSX maintenance crews springing into action. and multiple larger-scale maintenance projects being instituted virtually overnight--replacement of a frog at a major junction on the south side of Baltimore, track grinders reprofiling rails at switches, reballasting and tamping an approach section, etc. They pulled in maintenance forces from elsewhere to grab the opportunity to stay ahead in maintenance while they had a main line embargoed for several days for derailment clean-up and tunnel examination.
All of this, of course, comes from having the equipment, materials, and personnel on hand ready to go. or able to be procured or reallocated at a moment's notice--a luxury most of us don't get.

We, as an "industry," are shut down. Some people are not working regular jobs.

Track and equipment maintenance can often be done with LOTS of "social distancing." In fact, I've seen many "lone wolves" in restoration shops that like to work alone and/or can only work odd hours when few/no others are around.

Have any of our operations found an opportunity to replace ties, work on rolling stock, etc. during this shutdown? Have any of the professional outfits managed to transfer paid employees from hospitality to other work for pay? Have any volunteers showed up to find something to do while out of work?

Post subject: Re: Anyone Undertaking Deferred Maintenance?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:48 pm 

We are continuing to perform volunteer work sessions, as we are able to maintain physical distancing in the workshop. Painting has been done on two of our buses-1947 Ford Transit Bus Tucson Rapid Transit Co. No. 50 got some interior parts painted and the interior of GM TGH-3102 Old Pueblo Transit Co. No. 135 has been repainted.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:39 pm 

Members of Mid Continent received message that members cannot be on the property working or not. The museum could receive a fine. Until this last draconian move by the governor of Wi, work was allowed if the distance requirement was followed. I think it a shame but some people would disagree. So it is. Regards, John.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:10 pm 

We were continuing to work on track. Right now, we’re under a “stay at home” order from the governor until April 6 and will get back at it if lifted. I’m using this time to catch up on “deferred maintenance” around the house. I am heeding the warnings and recommendations simply because my parents are approaching 100 in decent health and I don’t want to jeopardize them reaching that milestone.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:49 pm 

Per the PA Governor's order, no-one is allowed to work on site except in support of the freight operation, on pain of fines, revocation of grants, etc.

Besides, no income = no money.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:22 pm 

Here in Arizona, word from the Governor's office is that there will not be any statewide "shelter in place" order coming. Last Order the governor issued prevents counties and municipalities from issuing local "shelter in place" orders as well. Governor stated that there is no basis for such an order, as it appears that most Arizonans are heeding the advice to stay home and only go out for essentials.