It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pennsylvania Narrow Gauge Survivors
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:29 pm 

I haven't been there for a while to check, but there was a Newport & Shermans Valley boxcar in New Bloomfield, and another N&SV boxcar turned work car on a chicken farm near Blain. The New Bloomfield car was in good shape with lots of original hardware. No trucks or couplers on either car.
The waycar #12 in Little Buffalo park was once grounded and used as a kennel for hunting dogs. It now sits on EBT Vulcan trucks and has had some oversize platforms built to make it easier to get in and out of it, along with some permanent steps.
Susquehanna River & Western caboose #50 was often mounted on narrow gauge trucks for use on the N&SV. It was in a backyard in Sandy Hollow, north of the railroad.
A Tuscarora Valley combine body is stored at the EBT shops.
A Tionesta Valley boxcar body was located along the Clarion River, up route 666, (really) at a hunting camp known as the narrow gauge camp.
A Tionesta Valley coach and caboose #110 were in use as a camp, both have collapsed in recent years, so probably aren't worthy for the list.
According to Fred Kramer, author of Bells & Whistles in old Perry, on the N&SV, several passenger cars were in existence as camps. He was never able to get locations, the locals didn't want outsiders snooping around.
If you really want to stretch the list, supposedly a 3 foot gauge shay from the Beibelheimer Lumber Co was abandoned in the woods of the Seven Mountains area. Happy hunting.

brian b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:56 pm 

As of March 2017, there was a Broad Top hopper that had been stuffed and mounted, on the LK&P on the west coast of Maui. It was used as a sort of billboard. Apparently LK&P has, or had, several of these, but this was the only one that we observed.

JR

Attachments:
Broad Top Hopper scaled.jpg
Broad Top Hopper scaled.jpg [ 346.51 KiB | Viewed 6087 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:23 pm 

Why did the EBT have so many coaches?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:36 pm 

The miners only worked in the mines...

Mike Stillwell
Buena Vista, VA.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:59 pm 

Why did EBT have so many coaches? EBT ran a commuter service: they carried miners up to the mines, usually in mixed trains; in addition, the operating crews used the cars instead of cabooses.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:11 pm 

On a different subject, the two museums in McDade Park, Scranton, both have electric mine motors.

The Pennsylvania-owned Anthracite Heritage Museum has several mine displays in their modern, climate controlled building. One motor appears to be a Van Depoele; if so, it dates to the late 1880's. I haven't checked its bonafides.

Lackawanna County's Lackawanna Coal Mine Tour goes down into a mine using an inclined railway. Visitors walk through the mine which still has its track and some mine motors which are still there from when it was an active mine.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:01 am 

Lehigh Navigation and Coal Sales No.51
42” gauge located at Lansford, PA
Was displayed for many years at the Pine Creek RR in NJ, then displayed at the Canal Museum in Easton, PA and now in Lansford.

Last edited by LVRR2095 on Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:12 am 

There is an elderly BLW/WH mine loco on display at Clarksville, PA, presumably from one of the local mines. No identification is shown. Appears to be 42" ga, maybe 8 tons.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:36 am 

Good information everyone! For the purpose of this thread, I think I'm going to exclude mine motors and any other equipment related specifically to sub-surface colliery operations. That being said, any steam or internal combustion locomotives owned or operated by coal companies exclusively for above ground use would qualify, such as the lokies in some of the previous replies. Anthracite and soft coal mining equipment could also use to tallied up, but for now I think they should be treated as a separate topic. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:41 am 

When I was at the EBT in May 1971 there was one or more hoppers lettered as sold to the Camino, Cable & Northern a short lived line in California. I don't know if any cars were shipped to them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:23 am 

A few more notes on hoppers:

Hesston Steam Museum has EBT #889. Huckleberry has one -- ISTR #821?
One coal hopper went to WP&Y and then to the tourist railroad on Maui that just shut down.
The C&TS has 5 EBT hoppers on the property, 3 currently in Chama and 2 in Antonito. I believe they're in MOW (ballast) service.
D&S has some, can't remember how many.

Locomotive
#? Plymouth C/N? 40 tons DH (rebuilt from 36” gauge TMDT B unit)
Bethlehem Steel Bethlehem, PA
East Broad Top RR Orbisonia, PA
Silcott (D)
Kerr-McGee Corp. (UP tie treating plant) The Dalles, OR (here 07-98)
most likely C/N 5913 (#28B) or 6036 (#29B)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:41 am 

Here is the link to the Waynesburg & Washington Railroad Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/wwrailroad/

All locomotive and coach restoration efforts are being socialized on the page. Additionally, efforts are underway to relay the 400 feet of track on the property. Plenty of work this summer!

The museum also owns a narrow gauge Plymouth locomotive that came from the Teledyne steel plant in Monaca, PA. It's a 7-ton Model DL HT. Serial Number is 5543. The diesel powered locomotive arrived on the property in the mid 1980s.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:43 am 

Welcome to RYPN Jim!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:09 pm 

5543 11/14/1950 36” DLHT Hercules JXC 28hp B 7T G/TC
Vanadium Alloys Steel #2, Monaca, Pa
Teledyne-VASCO, Monaca, Pa
Rebuilt – 5/1965 Caterpillar D3400 and T/C 25hp - Plymouth supplied parts D/TC
Bucksgahuda & Western RR, St. Marys, Pa - 4/1981
David H. Hamley (“Enon Valley Ry.”), Belle Vernon, Pa - for storage
Green County Historical Society, Waynesburg, Pa - 3/17/85

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:11 pm 

Since the original question was about the relics of "PA's once vast narrow gauge network" I think we might explore the option of calling it the Pennsylvania Railroad's narrow gauge network - which not only included the Waynesburg and Washington, but also the Ohio River and Western. Equipment on both of these lines were lettered "Pennsylvania" and locomotives were included in the numbering scheme of the entire system.

Quite a bit remains of the OR&W into the 2000s, but I am not sure of their current status. Here are some interesting research tidbits:
http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,181377,181377#msg-181377
http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39224

Now that there is a secure future for the EBT, I hope one of the options explored in its preservation is the creation of a narrow gauge museum that includes objects from a few neighboring lines for interpretation value, and for the sake of preservation. Eventually, the fleet will need to be expanded to serve a growing demand, in any case.

There were other narrow gauge railroads, of sorts, existing in the state of PA - Crown Locomotive Works and Keystone Locomotive Works, both of which made sizable 36" gauge steam locomotives and equipment which survive.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next