It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: HeritageRail Alliance recommends reopening practices
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:10 pm 

It’s sounding like Durango is going to open up Rockwood to Cascade only. I don’t think Silverton has been opened up for business again but perhaps Durango doesn’t want the extra tourists either?

Interesting times.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:18 pm 

Dave wrote:
What isn't being considered is that somebody who chooses to behave in riskier ways is taking the freedom to choose not to be exposed to risk away from more sensible and less self-centered others.

Oh, do I agree with that. Up on my soap box..... On one of my rare public forays to a big box hardware store, I was appalled by the lack of masks and social distancing being practiced by the large majority of shoppers, most under 30 years if I were to guess. In the checkout line, some doofus stepped up right behind me, ignoring the marks on the floor, pretty much breathing on the back of my neck. I did not let that slide in my not-so-subtle outdoor voice so everyone around could hear.

The freedom that some others think they have to do as they please does not include impinging on my rights. They don’t seem to understand that the guidelines are in place not to protect you per se but to protect others from you. That seems to have either gotten lost in the messaging or is simply being ignored out of ignorance.

Steps down from soap box....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:34 pm 

If you are truly a believer in freedom of choice, you will then base all your decisions on how to minimally limit potential options for the greatest number of people to the greatest extent possible. To do otherwise would be hypocritical. If you believe in freedom of choice but only insofar as yourself is concerned no matter how if affects others, you are acting from other motivations entirely......... and to claim you are doing it for a widely based moral stance is a lie.

Personally, I believe in freedom of choice for rational and not stupid choices, and open discrimination against other sorts should be encouraged.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:47 pm 

Dave, would you please be so kind as to translate the above into street language that I might be able to understand.

Thanks, Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:50 pm 

Here is a street way of putting the issue: your rights end at the end of my nose (which was my response back when we had to put up with people smoking cigarettes next to us in restaurants, planes, etc. and when we complained would hear the "what about smokers' rights?" argument).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8