It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: the Army "Kitchen Car"
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:14 pm 

Your help is needed!
I have been a member of OERM/SCRM for over 25 years. I along with Gary Knight have started the restoration of #89674 The "kitchen car" The car was built in 1953 by St Louis Car Co.and to be used by the U.S ARMY to feed the wounded troops being transported in the hospital train.
The car was NEVER put into service. needless to say the inside of the car is in great condition, a bit dusty but still unused, I can't say the same for the outside of the car it is faded and 90% of the lettering has faded away. How ever we still have enough of the lettering to create new stencils, what we need is the PPG color code it was gloss dark green.
We also need ANYTHING you might have regarding the plumbing. also good source for coal.
Thanks
Dave Wolven

Post subject: Re: the Army "Kitchen Car"
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:41 pm 

I would recommend contacting the Northwest Railway Museum, Snoqualmie, WA. They too have one of these 1953 kitchen cars in their collection, the #89601, which is also very complete as it was not among those that were acquired by Amtrak in 1973 (those were extensively modified). They have used the original kitchen for years for various events.

(The #89601 was instead sold to Kennecott Copper in 1973, and was acquired by the museum in 1987.)

Post subject: Re: the Army "Kitchen Car"
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:52 pm 

According to NRM’s website, the paint was matched and supplied by PPG. If you find out what they used and the color code, please post back here with that info and I’ll add it to the cross reference.