It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: C&NW Coach in Hayward Wisconsin?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:50 pm 

I was re-reading a story about the C&NW Namekagon service. The article ends with a mention that car 2000 survived in Spooner, WI into the late 1970s and was later restored in Hayward by Tony Wise.

Does this car still exist?

Wesley

Post subject: Re: C&NW Coach in Hayward Wisconsin?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:37 pm 

Changed subject line to see if I can get a response.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:38 am 

I went to Hayward once to attend the family reunion of a crazy ex girlfriend (before the ex part) and seemed to recall seeing a coach on the side of the road. Or maybe it was a big giant trout statue. Anyway, I took a look into this and have the following thoughts.

Tony Wise was the champion of the American Birkebeiner, which I guess has something to do with running around on cross country skis looking like Vikings. Currently there is a museum with his name, dedicated to this purpose, but I do not see any information about a preserved site, where it is, or what is there. Here is the website:
https://www.birkie.com/museum/

In Hayward there was a history museum which had railway equipment - it was more of a tourist trap called "Historyland" which was mostly known for providing lumberjack breakfasts. A Goodman Lumber Shay from here is now at North Freedom.

Apparently there was a display train at the Hayward depot. In this postcard photo, you might see the former doodlebug car in question:
https://www.cardcow.com/342209/train-at-depot-hayward-wisconsin/

Also, the current restoration project of the Mark Twain Zephyr is going on up there in Hayward. Maybe they know more. Good luck!

Attachments:
card00541_fr.jpg
card00541_fr.jpg [ 27.69 KiB | Viewed 3811 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:00 am 

Quote:
In Hayward there was a history museum which had railway equipment - it was more of a tourist trap called "Historyland" which was mostly known for providing lumberjack breakfasts. A Goodman Lumber Shay from here is now at North Freedom.

Apparently there was a display train at the Hayward depot. In this postcard photo, you might see the former doodlebug car in question:
https://www.cardcow.com/342209/train-at ... wisconsin/

In an old thread on Historyland, the story follows these cars to the private collection at Escanaba and Lake Superior in Wells, Michigan. Can anyone confirm if the C&NW car from the Namakagon train is part of the Soo Line collection from Historyland stored there?

Wesley

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:47 pm 

There is/was the baggage-power car from the Namekagon in Spooner, WI in the early 2000s.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dwdavidson/12685644395

The baggage-power car (now in a solid-green paint scheme) and what appears to be another coach from the Namekagon were photographed by Chris Guenzler in 2009: http://www.trainweb.org/chris/spoon2.html

Does anyone have information as to whether or not these cars still exist, or if they could be the same car that inspired the original question?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:37 pm 

Based on this image cropped from TRAINS.

Attachment:
Namekagon.png
Namekagon.png [ 200.84 KiB | Viewed 3461 times ]

And this image from Chris in 2009,

Attachment:
Namekagon2.JPG
Namekagon2.JPG [ 22.74 KiB | Viewed 3461 times ]

Maybe we found the car? Can anyone familiar with the roster at Wisconsin Great Northern provide more details?

Wesley

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:42 pm 

I'm the operations manager for the Wisconsin Great Northern, I can confirm that the combine from the Namekagon is still in Spooner roughly as depicted in the post above. There have been a number of proposals for it that for various reasons haven't panned out. The car is not in any eminent danger other than natural oxidization.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:47 pm 

I can attest it was there this afternoon when I visited the Railroaders Museum in Spooner, WI.