It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chapin 0-4-0VBT Moves from Mich. to Pa. For restoration
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:21 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
https://content.govdelivery.com/account ... ns/29dbb31

Quote:
Rare locomotive loaded for restoration trip to Pennsylvania

Yankee headed east from Marquette County for $200,000 rehabilitation

By JOHN PEPIN
Michigan Department of Natural Resources

Crewmen readied precious cargo today at the Michigan Iron Industry Museum in Negaunee for a 900-mile trip southeast to Pennsylvania.

The historical relic loaded onto a transport truck for the trip was a historic steam locomotive called the Yankee, a vertical boiler model manufactured by Alexander Chaplin and Co. of Glasgow, Scotland, between 1862 and 1868.

At 150 years old, the Yankee is thought to be one of only three surviving Chaplin locomotives in the world.

“With the help of generous grant funding, we’re sending the Yankee to Pennsylvania for restoration work,” said Barry James, historian with the museum. “Once the rehabilitation is complete, the locomotive will be brought back here to Marquette County to remain on permanent display at our museum.”

The restoration project – which is expected to take about a year to complete – will cost $200,000, with funding provided from a Institute of Museum and Library Services grant and matching money from the Friends of the Michigan Iron Industry Museum.

According to B.R. Howard Conservation – the Pennsylvania company doing the rehabilitation work – the project will be combining the practices of conservation and selective restoration and replications to return the locomotive to an appearance where visitors can appreciate the construction technologies used in its fabrication.

More at the link.

Post subject: Re: Chapin 0-4-0VBT Moves from Mich. to Pa. For restoration
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:34 pm 

"The Yankee is red in color, made from cast and wrought iron, steel and a mix of soft and hardwoods. It is just over 12 feet long, about 9 feet high, weighing an estimated 8,000 pounds."

$200,000 for a cosmetic restoration?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:47 pm 

Please visit the website for B.R. Howard. Their level of detail emphasizes the "original" in original fabric, likely the source of the high cost of the work involved.

Wesley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:52 pm 

I sure hope $200 Grand is enough for B.R. Howard to conjure up some engineering drawings for the missing parts. As is obvious from the photos the valve chests and valves are missing; I believe I recall that when I saw the critter about twenty years ago that there was no sign of valve gear. As old as the engine is, I would expect it to be old, rare, and obscure, not something we are familiar with on more modern engines.

We had a rather in depth discussion of this locomotive starting in 2002 and continuing in 2012 with extensive photos:
http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3175&hilit=CUYAHOGA+STEAM

At least after the state spends the money, maybe they'll keep it indoors so it doesn't deteriorate further.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:24 am 

After restoration ,hope they use different slings to pick it up. Flat synthetic slings around the base of a rail ? Bad idea . Polyester round slings with protectors, better idea. Protect your investment unless your Daddy Warbucks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:05 pm 

Dennis Storzek wrote:
I sure hope $200 Grand is enough for B.R. Howard to conjure up some engineering drawings for the missing parts. As is obvious from the photos the valve chests and valves are missing; I believe I recall that when I saw the critter about twenty years ago that there was no sign of valve gear. As old as the engine is, I would expect it to be old, rare, and obscure, not something we are familiar with on more modern engines.

We had a rather in depth discussion of this locomotive starting in 2002 and continuing in 2012 with extensive photos:
http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3175&hilit=CUYAHOGA+STEAM

At least after the state spends the money, maybe they'll keep it indoors so it doesn't deteriorate further.

See also

https://www.mlive.com/news/2020/09/rare ... vania.html

and note that only half the money is coming from the State, the rest from donations.

Bob H

Post subject: Restoration of an odd little locomotive?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:14 pm 

I had never heard of the "Yankee". Who is doing the job?

Post subject: Re: Restoration of an odd little locomotive?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:31 pm 

From the link you provided;

"According to B.R. Howard Conservation – the Pennsylvania company doing the rehabilitation work"

It does not mention restoration to operational condition ? Probably a cosmetic job only ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:49 pm 

I guess it pays to actually read the article, rather than just gloss over it. Thanks.

It looks like B.R. Howard Conservation is an artsy fartsy museum restorer not affiliated with RR preservation.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:07 pm 

I think this was posted in the interchange a few months ago. I remember this locomotive being here on this forum. I’ll see if I can find the original post: there might be some more information on it.

Edit: found it!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43828&p=296606&hilit=Yankee#p296606

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:36 pm 

See Chapman 0-4-0VTB bellow in the subject list. From photos I have seen it would be cheaper to build an operating replica of Yankee than to "restore" the original to operation. Very little would be left of the original when you were done.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:30 pm 

Just to add the link to the thread: http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44828

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:33 am 

Quote:
It looks like B.R. Howard Conservation is an artsy fartsy museum restorer not affiliated with RR preservation.

Looking at the Howard website it appears the locomotive will be restored to a high gloss static display.

Wesley

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:49 pm 

The locomotive restored to a very high standard but statically displayed indoors will attract a few glances and a minute's worth of attention from each visitor as they pass by.

An operating locomotive, even if a replica would be enough to get some people to drive from afar to specifically see it run, and stay half the day watching it move around.

Such is the difference in attraction between static and living locomotives.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:54 pm 

Here are a couple of vintage articles dealing with Yankee and her sisters.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id= ... up&seq=541
https://books.google.com/books?id=mkhJA ... &q&f=false