It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: A few questions
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:30 am 

All transcontinenta travel in the USA was accomplished by ues of connecting trains and there was never a through train from the East Coast to Los Angeles. There were through cars.

In this case there was a connecting service shown in Table I of the Missouri Pacific timetable in the above posting. Through cars are shown on Page 7 of that timetable.

In this case, 1959 connections show:

Station Time Train
Lv. Memphis 8.30 PM MP 201
Ar. Little Rock 11.30 PM MP 201
car switched from MP 201 to MP 1
Lv. Little Rock 12.25 AM MP 1 Texas Eagle
Ar. Texarkana 3.25 AM MP 1 Texas Eagle
Through train; change of railroads
Lv. Texarkana 3.40 AM T&P 1 Texas Eagle
Ar. Dallas 7.50 AM T&P 1 Texas Eagle
Los Angeles car attached to T&P 1
Lv. Dallas 8.10 AM T&P 1 Texas Eagle
Ar. Fort Worth 9.00 AM T&P 1 Texas Eagle
Memphis car detached from T&P 1
Lv. Fort Worth 9.50 AM T&P 1 Texas Eagle
Ar. El Paso 10.45 PM T&P 1 Texas Eagle
Car switched from T&P 1 to SP 1
Lv. El Paso 12.50 AM SP 1 Sunset
Ar. Los Angeles 5.35 PM SP 1 Sunset

Through sleeping cars are from Memphis to Fort Worth and from Dallas to Los Angeles. The two cars are both in T&P 1 from Dallas to Fort Worth. With through sleeping cars, you can stay in your room in Little Rock, Texarkana and El Paso. You change cars during the station stop in either Dallas or Fort Worth.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:18 pm 

I will study more that thing.
But I wonder what rute was more scenic: the one via Kansas (with "Rock Island Line" taken from Kansas City, Missouri) or the one via Texas?
Talking about "Rock Island Line", when I had a period of beeing mad after Rock'n'Roll and the '50's (that's why I know something about the period) there was the "Rock Island Line" song on that C.D. Dind't pay atention to the lyrics (I've listen the song no more then 3 times) and so for years I thought that the song was about a Rock'n'Roll ship or a ship that is going to an island named Rock Island.

Talking about Black accomodation on trains: https://condrenrails.com/MRP/City-of-Me ... emphis.htm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:18 pm 

You need a good USA map.

Memphis to Los Angeles via Kansas City [there are two Kansas City's, one in Kansas and by far the larger in Missouri. Kansas City Union Station is in Missouri] is a longer, more circuitous route. Rock Island had a more direct Memphis-LA route.

In August, 1959, CRI&P train 15 left Memphis 10.00 PM, arrived Tucumcari NM 9.30 PM the next day. This train had no sleeping or dining cars, but made meal stops at McAlester OK at 7.15 AM, El Reno OK from 11.40 AM to 12.10 PM and Amarillo TX from 6.40 PM to 7.10 PM.

At Tucumcari, CRI&P 15 connected with SP 39 leaving 9.45 PM, arriving Los Angeles 11.39 PM the next day. This train also had no sleeping or dining cars and SP did not show specific meal stops, although 39 made a 15 minute stop at Lordsburg NM and 30 minute stops at Tucson and Phoenix AZ and a 25 minute stop at Yuma AZ.

Neither the MP-T&P-SP nor CRI&P-SP route was particularly scenic.

If you want scenery, the best is via Kansas City.

From Memphis you would take Frisco (SLSF) 108, The Sunnyland, at 7.00 AM. There was a meal stop at Thayer, Ark. at 11.15 AM. This train had no sleeping or dining cars until picking up a Buffet-Parlor Car at Springfield at 3.25 PM. Arrival Kansas City MO was 8.45 PM.

MP 11 left Kansas City at 9.10 PM arriving Pueblo CO at 7.10 AM. This train had standard sleeping cars plus a "Thrift-T-Sleeper," an old heavyweight Pullman with accommodations at a reduced sleeper fare and only a coach ticket.

At Pueblo, D&RGW (Rio Grande) 1, Royal Gorge, left at 12.15 PM. Rio Grande called itself the "Scenic Line of the World," and this train is one of the reasons why. The train had a dome car and followed the Arkansas River as the surrounding terrain got higher and higher. Finally the gorge got too narrow to fit a railroad so the railroad goes on a bridge suspended over the river from the sides of the gorge. Just short of this, the train stopped for 10 minutes so passengers could get off and look. The train continued out of the gorge and passed by Colorado's highest mountains. It finally crossed Tennessee Pass at over 10,000 feet altitude and descended on a steep 3% grade to Minturn and the Eagle River. The train continued through Glenwood Canyon and terminated at Grand Junction. Through cars including a sleeper (Summer only), the dome coach and diner-lounge continued to Salt Lake City in D&RGW 7, arriving 8.00 AM.

UP 5 left Salt Lake 9.30 AM with a cafe-lounge car and coaches. At Las Vegas, 8.05 PM, UP 5 set out the cafe-lounge and picked up a sleeper for Los Angeles, where it arrived at 5.30 AM (the sleeper could be occupied until 7.00 AM)

Phil Mulligan