It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Army Transport Corps Engines to the Philippines
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:10 pm 

Looking for something to watch on YouTube and found this I thought I'd share.
WW2 film follows a Victory Ship to the Philippines with a load of Army steam engines for the war there. Plays like a Wonderful World of Disney documentary, but some nice color footage from that time. Steam derricks, LCTs, a DUWK towing a locomotive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZdqd8rp8MI

Post subject: Re: Army Transport Corps Engines to the Philippines
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:30 pm 

Be sure to watch Part I first: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78zu7hSXS-k

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:07 am 

Good flick.

The Philippine Railway is 3'6" (1067mm) gauge. The USATC S118 is a multigauge locomotive and was built for 3' (914mm), 1 metre (39.37 in) or 3'6" (1067mm). Multiple US builders built them, including Baldwin, Alco, Porter, Davenport and Vulcan.

WP&Y got 11 of the 3' gauge version USATC 190-200. Of these 190 is at Tweetsie and 192 at Dollywood.

Victory Ships were a class of cargo ship built for Merchant Marine service although the USN acquired some as attack transports. They came after the Liberty Ships to a more modern design, most with steam turbines to allow greater speed.

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:51 am 

Small detail but it's US Army Transportation Corps. Sorry, but I'm retired Army and trip over those details.
Interesting video though, thanks for posting.
Ned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:16 am 

EJ Berry wrote:
Good flick.

The Philippine Railway is 3'6" (1067mm) gauge. The USATC S118 is a multigauge locomotive and was built for 3' (914mm), 1 metre (39.37 in) or 3'6" (1067mm). Multiple US builders built them, including Baldwin, Alco, Porter, Davenport and Vulcan.

WP&Y got 11 of the 3' gauge version USATC 190-200. Of these 190 is at Tweetsie and 192 at Dollywood.

Phil Mulligan

So, did the engines remain working for the railroads in the Philippines after the war ended? And if so, were any of the engines preserved there?

Les

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:03 am 

Attachment:
Cambodia(Sept1996)BattamBang.jpg
Cambodia(Sept1996)BattamBang.jpg [ 91.42 KiB | Viewed 7449 times ]
It's not in the PI, and it's not exactly what I would call preserved.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:19 pm 

Is there an inventory of the USA railroad equipment shipped to the Philippines? I know the Army had a few 42" gauge cranes but don't know where they went.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:14 pm 

Kelly Anderson wrote:
Attachment:
Cambodia(Sept1996)BattamBang.jpg
It's not in the PI, and it's not exactly what I would call preserved.

I've seen worse in museums.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:19 pm 

I am interested in what locos got to the Philippines and the rest of the Pacific theater. My main reason for asking is that I and a couple of others are working on an all time N American steam loco builders database. We have the initial data pretty well documented as far as order numbers and construction numbers but lack a lot from there. The Tourette books give a lot of info for the European locos but but still have a lot to fill in there as well.

I am looking for information like shipping ports and dates, ship names delivery ports and dates, those lost at sea etc. Once delivered where they were deployed, who assigned to and their remaining history.

I realize much history was lost or never recorded like locos destroyed in action etc. If anyone can provide any help with the lives & histories of these locos it would be most appreciated. I will gladly share any of the information I have accumulated.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Allen Stanley
Greer, SC

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:15 am 

RAILDATA wrote:
I am interested in what locos got to the Philippines and the rest of the Pacific theater. My main reason for asking is that I and a couple of others are working on an all time N American steam loco builders database. We have the initial data pretty well documented as far as order numbers and construction numbers but lack a lot from there. The Tourette books give a lot of info for the European locos but but still have a lot to fill in there as well.

I am looking for information like shipping ports and dates, ship names delivery ports and dates, those lost at sea etc. Once delivered where they were deployed, who assigned to and their remaining history.

I realize much history was lost or never recorded like locos destroyed in action etc. If anyone can provide any help with the lives & histories of these locos it would be most appreciated. I will gladly share any of the information I have accumulated.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Allen Stanley
Greer, SC
One book you may already be aware of is Allied Military Locomotives of the Second World War by R. Tourret. This British author contains information about the American built locomotives including the ng 2-8-2s. My copy of the book is boxed up and not available for reference at this time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:32 am 

I belong to a Philippine railfan Facebook group. I'll pose your questions to the other members who live over there and maybe get some information.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:47 am 

Really neat video.
WP&Y 195 is sitting behind the Skagway museum. I've been there twice and got this shot in 2015:
I've often wondered how the crews of these ships felt about what they were hauling, maybe it didn't matter but I'd think they'd rather be sending stuff over that would be used to kill your enemy than, say, a boat load of toilet paper and doses of medicine to cure the clap...
nedsn3 wrote:
Small detail but it's US Army Transportation Corps. Sorry, but I'm retired Army and trip over those details.
Good point, Ned. I'm former Army myself and I see the "ation" dropped off the end of that almost as often as I see the word, "Ordnance" misspelled with an "i" in the middle of is as it clears spell check that way...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:41 pm 

Love the part at the very end of the 2nd part where it appears they toss and catch a red hot rivet from about 30 feet apart!

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:52 pm 

Thanks All,

I have the Tourrette books. They are mostly centered on the European locos. Thanks for any additional help anyone can provide.

Allen Stanley
Greer, SC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:05 pm 

Here is a roster of Philippine RRs done by my friend Allen Copeland. Feel free to share it and if anyone has any corrections or additions they would be most appreciated.

It does have some WWII loco with general information but I hope to get even more specific.

Thanks All,

Allen Stanley

Attachments:
PHILIPPINES RRs ROSTERS- COPELAND.doc [545.5 KiB]
Downloaded 281 times