It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: C&NW train order posts
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:32 pm 

A couple of years ago, I happened to be in Waunakee, Wisconsin for a granddaughters swim meet and happened across the old Chicago & North Western depot, which is now the home of the local Chamber of Commerce (first photo). What struck me was the fact that the old post for the old semaphore train order signal was still in place (second photo) although the semaphore blades themselves, had been removed. These posts were exclusive to the C&NW and were used system wide. The railroad apparently made them out of old sections of rail (the third shot shows how the two rails were joined together). My question is if any other of these old C&NW rail/semaphore posts still exist and especially, if any are at railroad museums and in working order? Thanks for any info.

Les

Attachments:
Old pix - 2 150.JPG
Old pix - 2 150.JPG [ 345.42 KiB | Viewed 3726 times ]
Old pix - 2 154.JPG
Old pix - 2 154.JPG [ 216.11 KiB | Viewed 3726 times ]
Old pix - 2 153.JPG
Old pix - 2 153.JPG [ 284.15 KiB | Viewed 3726 times ]

Post subject: Re: C&NW train order posts
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:47 pm 

Hi Les,
The C&NW train order boards at Mid-Continent Rwy Museum in North Freedom, Wi. are kept in working condition and the crews must obey them while we are operating. I do hope we'll be open next summer so you can come & inspect them yourself and enjoy the rest of the Museum..........mld

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:06 pm 

mldeets wrote:
Hi Les,
The C&NW train order boards at Mid-Continent Rwy Museum in North Freedom, Wi. are kept in working condition and the crews must obey them while we are operating. I do hope we'll be open next summer so you can come & inspect them yourself and enjoy the rest of the Museum..........mld

mld -

Thanks for the info about the C&NW train order board signal at the North Freedom depot. Glad to hear that it's in working condition and that it governs train crew movements when Mid-Continent is operating. Got to get up there one of these days!

I'm a bit surprised that there are apparently no other C&NW surplus-rail train order posts still in existence besides the one at the depot in Waunakee (sans boards) and the one at Mid-Continent that's operational. I would have thought there would be others.

Les

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:15 pm 

What railroad are these from? Looks like C&O?

Last edited by msrlha_archivist on Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:36 pm 

Tim -

So Sanborn is the name for these C&NW train order signals. I learned something new tonight! I'll have to take your word that there are dozens of these signals still standing. I've seen some photos of C&NW depots on the internet, but haven't seen any Sanborn T.O. posts. But I probably didn't see the right ones. I'll keep looking. Sure would be great to have a Sanborn at Hoosier Valley!

Thanks for the info Tim!

Les

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:55 am 

Les Beckman wrote:
Tim -

So Sanborn is the name for these C&NW train order signals. I learned something new tonight! I'll have to take your word that there are dozens of these signals still standing. I've seen some photos of C&NW depots on the internet, but haven't seen any Sanborn T.O. posts. But I probably didn't see the right ones. I'll keep looking. Sure would be great to have a Sanborn at Hoosier Valley!

Thanks for the info Tim!

Les

Does the Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum have a collections policy? It seems like the C&NW is a bit out of the wheelhouse of HVRM. It's enjoyable seeing signals in their natural territory and environment, not just as a random display in a small museum.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:19 pm 

P Martin wrote:
Les Beckman wrote:
Tim -

Thanks for the info Tim!

Les

Does the Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum have a collections policy? It seems like the C&NW is a bit out of the wheelhouse of HVRM. It's enjoyable seeing signals in their natural territory and environment, not just as a random display in a small museum.

P Martin -

Yes we do have a signals collection policy. We have a good selection of signals out on our "main line", operating off of the track circuits. I'll show two examples here. The first photo shows an Erie double searchlight and C&O color light signal and the second shot a PRR color position light signal, with other visible signals down the line. Our blocks are short, so that visitors can see how block signals work. We have plans to add a train order signal to Grasselli Tower some day, if an authentic semaphore T.O. signal can be found. Any other questions, please let me know.

Les

Attachments:
Levers, C&O and PRR signals Dec 2013 003.JPG
Levers, C&O and PRR signals Dec 2013 003.JPG [ 346.62 KiB | Viewed 2871 times ]
Levers, C&O and PRR signals Dec 2013 005.JPG
Levers, C&O and PRR signals Dec 2013 005.JPG [ 342.8 KiB | Viewed 2871 times ]