It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Espee 982 in Houston, Texas
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:19 pm 

Apparently the SP 2-10-2 no. 982 was to become a major exhibit in the Nau Center for Cultural History that was to have been built in Houston, Texas. The museum idea was scrapped last year and now I suppose the future of the 982 is up in the air.

Anyone have any insight as to what is going on down there with regards to 982?

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/city-life/03-16-15-super-80-million-visitors-center-halted-plans-for-prime-downtown-property-up-in-air/

Post subject: Re: Espee 982 in Houston, Texas
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:37 pm 

She was T&NO #982, and had an SP number prior to being sent east. She was supposed to be rebuilt, there was a group back in the 1990s that eventually fell apart (reportedly due to infighting over unrealistic demands by board members).
When she was donated by the SP/T&NO, she was put on display in Hermann Park - she was there until moved to a new 'permanent home' near the abomination I still call Enron Field.
For reasons unknown to me, she had to be moved again, to the new proposed facility. The plans didn't have room for her tender, and although the plans weren't secure her tender was sent to the Heber Valley RR so they could convert a former UP coal-burner to oil.
Now she sits derelict, unwanted due to the lack of a tender, and faces scrapping.
It heartbreaking for me, personally, to see her this way! When I was a child, she was still on display in Hermann Park, and oftentimes open to the public. It's a sad end to what was part of the Prosperity Special!

CD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:18 pm 

This SP F-1 was 3651 when on the Pacific Lines. It was built by Baldwin in 1919. I don't know anything about the service history of this particular engine, or when it was transferred to the T&NO, but it was the later F-4 class 2-10-2s that made up the Prosperity Special in 1922.

Interestingly, SP 2-10-2s were common power for the local freights out of Bayshore that ran through Niles Canyon. That said, this big 2-10-2 is probably a bit too big for the Niles Canyon Railway to justify a serious interest. Love to be proven wrong though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:42 pm 

There are plans being developed as I type this. There will be plans released very soon concerning her fate. Stay tuned......

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:15 pm 

Randolph R. Ruiz wrote:
This SP F-1 was 3651 when on the Pacific Lines. It was built by Baldwin in 1919. I don't know anything about the service history of this particular engine, or when it was transferred to the T&NO, but it was the later F-4 class 2-10-2s that made up the Prosperity Special in 1922.

Interestingly, SP 2-10-2s were common power for the local freights out of Bayshore that ran through Niles Canyon. That said, this big 2-10-2 is probably a bit too big for the Niles Canyon Railway to justify a serious interest. Love to be proven wrong though.

Interesting - one of the earlier articles I read stated she was part of the Special.

Txhighballer wrote:
There are plans being developed as I type this. There will be plans released very soon concerning her fate. Stay tuned......

I'd really like to see her re-united with her tender (that never should have been separated) and preserved in a secured environment. Sadly, I'm weary of donating to such a cause, the old Project 982 took a lot of people's money and only got it into the current situation.
By all appearances, the Nau Center project is dead, and 982 is in imminent danger - despite a lot of money spent moving her from Hermann Park just a few years ago.

CD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:59 pm 

I don't know how much money was donated in the previous attempt to restore the 982, but I can say that this time around that things will be radically different than they were the last time.

More information will soon be forthcoming....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:06 pm 

Txhighballer wrote:
I don't know how much money was donated in the previous attempt to restore the 982, but I can say that this time around that things will be radically different than they were the last time.

More information will soon be forthcoming....

I think 'Project 982' raised into the 6-figures, no idea where it went. They did have a 50% ownership stake in the locomotive at the time, I guess they 'donated' it to the JayCees when the project failed.
I'm real curious to see what''s going to happen - I hope it's good, and I really ope her tender gets repatriated!

CD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:53 pm 
Site Admin

From your moderator... Lets be careful...

The previous group is not the current group and reminding all of the issues with the previous group only causes difficulties for the current group...

Apparently there is an organized effort around this locomotive... but as we have seen in the posts efforts to restore C&O 2716, you have to have well developed plans before posting information or the meat eating monsters on the edge of this board will try to tear you apart.

Your friendly moderator is watching, and will have a low tolerance for poor behavior.

Randy

https://www.facebook.com/FriendsOfNevadaSouthernRailway

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:58 pm 

MUCHO BUENO SABOR !!!!!!!!!

Best of luck to you, Brother Cotton, and you fellas take care & work safe.

Sammy King

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:48 pm 

QJdriver wrote:
MUCHO BUENO SABOR !!!!!!!!!

Best of luck to you, Brother Cotton, and you fellas take care & work safe.

Thanks, QJ! I can state for the record that I am President of a group which is currently working on obtaining SP 982 and overhauling her for service.

There are a lot of moving parts, and much work has been done towards that goal. When everything is in place and all the questions have answers, there will be a full blown press release concerning the disposition of the 982. I think everyone will be shocked and surprised by what we have cooking. Understandably, that's all I can say for the moment, and several steam professionals on and off this board are familiar with the project and have given me fantastic advice and support. Stay tuned to this frequency for future updates.....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:10 am 

Well this is some positive news. Be nice to grab the 975 at IRM as well. She looks terrible and could use a good cosmetic fix.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:07 pm 

At some point, I'm sure I will contact the IRM about 975 and make some inquiries...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:30 pm 

Txhighballer wrote:
At some point, I'm sure I will contact the IRM about 975 and make some inquiries...

It should be pointed out that SP 975 is IRM's only example of a 2-10-2. I don't see where they would get another example.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:11 pm 

On no we wouldn't be wanting to liberate her from IRM but we would be asking things more on the technical side...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:28 am 

Txhighballer wrote:
I can state for the record that I am President of a group which is currently working on obtaining SP 982 and overhauling her for service.

Congrats! Thanks for the chat the other night, it was great to get some insight into the plans.

MJV1988 wrote:
Well this is some positive news. Be nice to grab the 975 at IRM as well. She looks terrible and could use a good cosmetic fix.

IRM likely saved her from scrapping here in TX, she wasn't well cared for here unfortunately.
I'd also note that one of the previous 982 groups had planning on scavenging T&NO 975 when she was still on display for some minor parts.

CD