It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: On the Topic of Narrow Gauge Locomotives Numbered 12...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:17 pm 

Hey all,

After reading through the thread about Mount Gretna Narrow Gauge Railroad #12, I remembered stumbling onto another narrow gauge locomotive numbered 12 that I couldn't identify. I originally saw this locomotive on an ancient cabinet card for sale on eBay and the only details I could make out was that it was a 4-4-0 and that it was probably a 36" gauge locomotive that sported a big number "12" on the tender. The eBay seller was kansaspaper for those who want to see the image.

The only information the seller provided related to the photo was that it was taken in the 1880's and that the engine appeared to be of a smaller gauge. After doing a little research on narrow gauge locomotives numbered 12, I came across a few railroads that rostered a 4-4-0 with that number. These were the Tidewater & Western Railroad, and the Bradford, Bordell, & Kinzua Railroad.

I'm sure there are more but I have been unable to locate them as of now. Any addition railroads would be much appreciated.

Some other facts that I have picked up relating to this photograph are that the vender was selling quite a few artifacts relating to Pennslyvania which supports the idea of this locomotive belonging to the Bradford, Bordell, & Kinzua as that railroad operated in the northern part of the state.

If this is an obvious answer, than I am sorry for being ignorant as I am not nearly as familar with mechanical characteristics such as the valve gear that could possibly make this identification easier.

Thanks again.

Nick Jobe
Centreville, VA

P.S. If this is an early narrow gauge engine, could it have possibly been manufactured by Brooks, National, or Baldwin? Also here is the link to the original listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1880-039-s-Sma ... 4618704092?