Steamguy73 wrote:

When are we seeing 2102 in blue?

Shhhhhhh! Don't even.....

/Kevin Madore

Post subject: Re: Reading 2102 Test Fire
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:30 am 

mldeets wrote:
Richard Glueck wrote:
So if tubes and flues are in, the clock is ticking, yes?
It would be wonderful to see 2102 on freight in covid complication restrain passenger service!

49CFR part 230.17 includes this:
Quote:
... In the case of a new locomotive or a locomotive being brought out of retirement, the initial 15 year period shall begin on the day that the locomotive is placed in service or 365 calendar days after the first flue tube is installed in the locomotive, whichever comes first. ...

I don't know if she would be considered being brought out of retirement. We can let others hop on that answer............mld

Part 230 defines retirement as any locomotive that has not had a 1472 day inspection. It could also mean any locomotive that has completed a 1472 day inspection but has been out of service and is now beyond the 15 year time limit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:59 am 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "15 years" starts a year after the date the first tube was put in ... but the first of the 'service days' occurred when they fired her up. Two different parts of the measurement.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:52 pm 

Overmod wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "15 years" starts a year after the date the first tube was put in ... but the first of the 'service days' occurred when they fired her up. Two different parts of the measurement.

Part 230, section 17a states:
"......the initial 15 year period shall begin on the day that the locomotive is placed in service or 365 calendar days after the first flue tube is installed in the locomotive, whichever comes first."

This means that the 15 year clock can start any time between the first flue and the first 365 days. It also means that a locomotive that has exceeded its 1472 days or 15 years is considered "retired" until the next 1472 day inspection is completed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:36 pm 

KevinM wrote:
Steamguy73 wrote:

/Kevin Madore

Oh Kevin, red worked well here!

http://www.eisenbahncanada.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/No.-1-type-in-Vermilion-red-as-on-may-1982.jpg

;-)

Randy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:06 pm 

Randy Musselman wrote:
KevinM wrote:
Steamguy73 wrote:

/Kevin Madore

Oh Kevin, red worked well here!

http://www.eisenbahncanada.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/No.-1-type-in-Vermilion-red-as-on-may-1982.jpg

;-)

Randy

I said that as a comment entirely meant in jest, but without getting into an intense livery debate, I don’t have a problem in seeing Reading 2102 in a similar scheme as both 425 and 225.

What matters more to me is that it operates. And even if it is painted blue, hey it’s unique, something different to most other big locomotives. And so what if it isn’t historic? R&N 425 has been painted in blue for a good long while now and that color has been identified with the locomotive so much that I think it’s hard for anyone to imagine 425 in any other color. No one seems to have a problem with that, or the livery 2101 was painted in for the Chessie Steam Special.

I don’t see them painting 2102 in blue. Reading 2102 unlike 425 or 225 is a locomotive that will be running on home rails, and i’m 99% sure they’d paint the locomotive in a historic Reading scheme. But I have zero problems with them doing something out of the box like they’ve done for their other locomotives.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:27 am 

Hmmmm. The CNJ Pacifics that pulled the Blue Comet were Packard Blue to match the train. They ran on RDG's Atlantic City RR from Winslow Jct. to Atlantic City. RDG painted a few Pacifics blue in the 1930's for Main Line trains. The Crusader Pacifics were blue where they weren't stainless steel.

B&O's P-7 Pacifics were initially green but were Royal Blue by the late 1930's. B&O's Royal Blue Line ran over RDG from Park Jct. Philadelphia to Bound Brook Jct. NJ. A P-7 was assigned to B&O 35, an express from RDG's Wayne Junction in NW Phila to Washington every weekday morning until 1953, being the last schedulled steam passenger train on RDG. (it connected with RDG's commuter trains at Wayne Jct.) (return service terminated at B&O's 24th and Chestnut Station and did not run on RDG; returning Wayne Jct. pax probably took the Royal Blue and enjoyed a B&O dinner in the dining car)

Phil Mulligan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:10 am 

230.18 - "A service day is accrued each day the locomotive boiler has steam pressure above atmospheric pressure, with fire in the firebox; ... [it is possible the definition is a calendar day, in which case if the locomotive had pressure and fire after 12:01 that might count as two service days...]

I do not know if this means FRA defines "being placed in service" as "accruing the first service day". If so the clock started running on the 1472 dayson the day of first fire -- and possibly the 15-year clock started that same day.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:15 am 

Overmod wrote:

What defines putting the first tube in? Simply placing a tube in flue sheets is not 100% installation of the tube. Rolling the firebox end and not the smokebox end (yet...) is not considered a full install. Seems to me that a bit of prep work in that regard could be carried out and not burn up valuable time on the paperwork.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:05 am 

mrwalsh85 wrote:
Overmod wrote:

What defines putting the first tube in? Simply placing a tube in flue sheets is not 100% installation of the tube. Rolling the firebox end and not the smokebox end (yet...) is not considered a full install. Seems to me that a bit of prep work in that regard could be carried out and not burn up valuable time on the paperwork.

I think many of these questions can be answered and/or clarified by reading the preamble to Part 230 and the reasoning involved.

Mike Ramsey

Attachments:
Part 230, Federal Register.pdf [1.05 MiB]
Downloaded 267 times

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:31 pm 

I recall we discussed firing days in a recent earlier thread? Maybe the topic was the Nevada Northern engine or C&O 1309.

The gist of the discussion was some leeway in counting test firing and hydro tests against the 1472 clock. Maybe an experienced searcher or Kelly A. can assist my memory.

Wesley

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:46 pm 

I wouldn’t be surprised to see her painted blue. That’s kind of their branding on that line.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:13 pm 

I thought I read somewhere that she will be painted in a Rambles era inspired scheme.

John

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:48 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
But what kind of whistl--

Attachments:
censored-png-clipart-best-sq0op3-clipart-censored-png.jpg
censored-png-clipart-best-sq0op3-clipart-censored-png.jpg [ 68.63 KiB | Viewed 4414 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:48 pm 

Excellent news - an Uncle ran for the Reading and loved the T hogs. I'm also grateful that nobody so far has questioned the timing or hurry involved, if any...... I think the original whistles were high pitched single note hooters.