It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: B3 trucks
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:34 pm 

Chicago Transit Authority #44 is at the National Museum of Transportation is St Louis, Mo. It has a damaged truck that makes clunking noises when started from stop. We needs detailed information on B3 trucks so we can find out what is wrong and fix it. If you have any drawing, documents or information about the gearbox, motors, suspension or frame it would be appreciated.

Series 5-50 built with the use of certain component parts removed from P.C.C. Streetcars which were used on the Surface System and sold to the builder by CTA. Parts used include trucks, motors, stanchions, seats, windows, track brakes, control equipment and other parts.

Bradley Preston's new email address is bradleydpreston@gmail.com

Last edited by DJacobsmeyer on Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: B3 trucks
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:12 pm 

You might get in touch with the Pennsylvania Trolley Museum in Washington, PA. I suspect they have experience with B3 trucks. One of their long time members, Larry Lovejoy, is on here and may read your appeal.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:42 pm 

Contact the Illinois Railway Museum. They have more CTA equipment than any other museum and much of it is operational. Some of the volunteers also work for or used to work for CTA in the shops as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:04 pm 

What have you checked out so far? Obvious things would be to see if there's lost motion between the boxes and jaws so the boxes bang when they meet the jaws, if the trucks center plates are on tightly and mate well with the body center plate, bolster issues, loose motors / worn hanger bushings / gone rubber shock mounts....... check also for brake rigging issues that might cause the shoes to bind and "break loose" under pressure when starting. This goes for any truck,not just B3s.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:29 pm 

I would check the drive shafts first, then the motor mount frames where they attach to the top of the truck frames on either side of the truck, you may find a loose motor.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:59 am 
Site Admin

I am assuming a B-3 PCC car truck... It would be helpful if you stated that...

https://www.facebook.com/FriendsOfNevadaSouthernRailway

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:01 am 

Ah, PCC..... the advice is still good, but less likely that it will be bearing related and not obvious to diagnose.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:36 am 

Brad Preston in Kenosha has extensive experience with PCC trucks. I believe he is running ex-Toronto PCCs on Chicago rapid PCC trucks.

kenoshastreetcarsociety@gmail.com

Wesley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:54 pm 

While the CTA utilized B-3 trucks on the rapid transit fleet, they were B-3RT trucks. While the trucks utilized a number of components recovered from streetcars (traded in to St Louis Car) the arrangement had significant differences from the streetcar version as well as modifications over the 37+ years in service.
A number of the comments received are a good place to start, drive shafts, etc. The one thing that needs to be done is to more clearly identify the nature of the noise and where it is coming from. This will help you pinpoint the items that need to be addressed to resolve the problem.
This would be the first step in the process and would further help those on this list to diagnose you problem.
P.S. - Brad Preston at Kenosha has retired

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:58 am 

I've had considerable experience with B2 PCC trucks as well as PCC motors and associated components, but no specific experience with B3 trucks. My initial thought it that it sounds like a driveshaft (possibly a universal joint) or gear issue.

DJacobsmeyer, feel free to PM or email me, I have some scanned technical information I can provide you electronically that may be helpful with troubleshooting.

Best wishes,
Matt Nawn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:38 am 

Brad Preston retirement from Kenosha:

https://www.kenoshanews.com/news/local/ ... 81a11.html