It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Port Jervis Equipment Troubles
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:57 pm 

Looks like the rest of Jimmy Wilsons equipment is in trouble, hopefully the museum that is starting up gets it and makes something of it. The E8 and passenger cars have sat in Port Jervis since 2006, with no obvious plans for any of it and no work done on them. Lesson once again is, Own your land!

More info in the article below.

https://www.recordonline.com/story/news ... 9z9QMjqFsQ

Post subject: Re: Port Jervis Equipment Troubles
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:18 pm 

If I remember correctly the Erie 833 was running and was towed to Streamliners at Spencer several years ago. It was one of the E8's used by Conrail.

Alan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:25 am 

Am I the only one who detects 'the other shoe dropping' on Eric Strohmeyer's cryptic post here a couple of weeks ago?

833 was Conrail 4022 for a while, running on the executive train, and was Bennett Levin's for s while before being resold to NY≷ as he posts here he may want to comment on the unit's history. The last picture on railpictures.net (upload-dated 6/18) shows it nose-on, on the turntable at Port Jervis, a bit scruffy and bird-struck looking.

I clearly remember this unit being used in commuter service on the Pascack Valley line in the early 1970s -- which may say more about my memory than where the unit actually worked -- but that was well before Conrail, in the era the push-pull and U34CH sets were still being delivered, and many of the trains were still RS3s and Stillwells. (If I recall correctly, the train behind the E8s was composed of 1937-era ATSF coaches, almost more of a thrill than the locomotives!) I can find no indication when, or indeed if, Conrail might have transferred the unit west, first for the Youngstown service and then, IIRC, used on the Vopo (Valparaiso) trains even further west.

Last edited by Overmod on Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:56 pm 

Reading 900 wrote:
If I remember correctly the Erie 833 was running and was towed to Streamliners at Spencer several years ago. It was one of the E8's used by Conrail.

Alan

ex-EL #833 was the last locomotive assigned to the Cleveland-Youngstown commuter train, which ended in January of 1977. So, somewhat significant. I was on that trip.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:43 pm 

Juniata Terminal purchased former Conrail 4021 & 4022 from CSXT in 2001 with the overall goal of reuniting 4021 with CR 4020 (PRR 5809) previously purchased from Norfolk Southern.

We never any concrete plan on what to do with 4022 other than to store it properly and prevent as much deterioration as possible. Of the three CR OCS E8's the 4022 was not heavily upgraded electrically like its sisters were, but it had the best engines which were culled out of former Reading re-engined Baldwins. If I recall my Dad and I offered the Erie Lackawanna Dining Car group the chance to purchase it prior to being contacted by NY&GL.

I was last on the 4022 down in Spencer. An NS Road Foreman asked me to look at it when it would not load. It was running on #2 engine with #1 engine tagged down with internal water leaks...Nothing was in the condition it was when it left Juniata Terminal back in 2006.

Talk about sellers remorse....

Eric Levin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:31 pm 

Can anyone post a roster of what equipment in Port Jervis is involved in this?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:43 pm 

What are the plans for the RS-3?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:48 pm 

ctjacks wrote:
Can anyone post a roster of what equipment in Port Jervis is involved in this?

Locomotive Wise:
EMD E8A 833 - NYGL (Erie), CR 4022, EL/Erie 833
ALCo RS3 935 - NYGL, ex-D&H 4085

Coaches
NYGL Buisness Car 3 “Pride of The Delaware" - ex-CN 15100 Dynamometer Car
NYGL Chestnut Hill - (ex-PV 800272, exx-VIA/CN 2083 Riviere Rough, nee-NYC 10174 St. Regis River)
NYGL 950 - (ex-OHRY/LS, exx-WICT 7802 Iowa River, exx-IAIS 7802 Iowa River, nee-C&NW 7802) LW cafe - lounge.
NYGL 2995 - (ex-OHRY/LS, exx-WICT 2625 Silver River, exx-IAIS 2625 Silver River, nee-IC 2625) LW 56-seat coach converted to table car.
NYGL 536 “The Crescent” - (ex-WMSR, exx-NS 843, nee-SOU) PS LW 52-seat coach

(Coach info from Pass car Photo Index)

SUNY Polytechnic Institute Alumni

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:35 pm 

Sure sounds like a "I messed up and don't like consequences" situation.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:18 am 

Overmod wrote:
Am I the only one who detects 'the other shoe dropping' on Eric Strohmeyer's cryptic post here a couple of weeks ago?

Not at all, except that I don't think this shoe fell off of the same corpse. As I understand it there are two discrete sets of 'NY&GL" equipment, both of which just happen to be at Port Jervis. The first is the equipment which was in Passaic (the Passaic set), was encumbered by the IRS seizure, and for which title has been transferred to Operation Toy Train. The second is the equipment which was already at Port Jervis (the Port Jervis set) and for which Mr Wilson owes back storage fees. This was not included in the seizure and the city wants the non-payment resolved. While the Port Jervis set may well end up with Rudy and Carolyn, the city's action should have no impact on title to the pieces in the Passaic set.

Eric, would you care to elaborate?

Subscribing to my grandfather's philosophy that no case is so weak or cause so harebrained that somebody cannot be found to handle it in exchange for a sufficient retainer up front.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:56 am 

Overmod wrote:

The previous thread you reference in which the aforementioned posts appeared included this:
rudystrains wrote:
Of note: the following comments relate solely to the former NYGL equipment that was located in Passaic, NJ, which Operation Toy Train took legal possession of on September 12, 2020. We have no involvement or legal interest in the NYGL equipment in Port Jervis, NY, other than the fact that we are still waiting for the NYGL to remove the equipment from the site so PJTM can begin museum construction.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:01 am 

Meghan,

Just a point of clarity. The Passaic equipment was moved to and is sitting in Lackawaxen, PA. The equipment in question in this thread is all in Port Jervis.

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:15 pm 

cjvrr wrote:
Meghan,

Just a point of clarity. The Passaic equipment was moved to and is sitting in Lackawaxen, PA. The equipment in question in this thread is all in Port Jervis.

Chris
That brings us to a zero likelihood that the issues in Port Jervis will have an impact on the title to the Passaic set. If Brother Strohmeyer was referring to the pendency of the Port Jervis action in his remarks on the other thread then my granddaughter's belief that the shoe was not even on the same corpse is correct.

GME

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:05 pm 

What shape is the Port Jervis equipment in? Has it been vandalized and ruined by the elements, such as the passenger equipment in Passaic was?

And who exactly is Jim Wilson? Is he from the Passaic area?

I have been involved in a few disputes such as this in the past, and they can be incredibly frustrating and unpleasant, with the deadlines and threats involved. Typically an owner that has grand plans, but then gets in way over his head financially, and runs out of options. And I have seen a few once-nice pieces of equipment get cut up after years of sitting outside with no maintenance. That NS coach was one rebuilt in 1994 - it would be very sad if that car was now stripped and vandalized after no maintenance for nearly 15 years.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:07 pm 

Trainlawyer wrote:
If Brother Strohmeyer was referring to the pendency of the Port Jervis action in his remarks on the other thread then my granddaughter's belief that the shoe was not even on the same corpse is correct. GME

It appears to be not even the same cemetery.