It is currently Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: 1309 - All dressed up and nowhere to go
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:22 pm 

I used to be a Santa Fe engineer. I was running the two GE helpers behind AT&SF 3751 when it came east to Kansas City & Chicago, 1992 I believe. I had it from Newton to Argentine. When we rolled slowly by the Erman scrap yards, where thousands of cars and locomotives where scrapped, I saw about half dozen employees standing by their office watching us enter inter the yard. They were all waving their arms as if to say "bring in, and spot it right here".

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:13 pm 

On a 1960 Iron Horse Ramble we passed Luria Brothers scrapyard in South Modena PA on RDG's W&N Branch. T-1 2124 was the road power; 2100 pulled us back. One of the passengers commented "I never thought I'd be riding through here behind a steam locomotive."

Indeed a group of retired T-1's had gone there about a month earlier. About 5 miles North (compass direction; West RR direction) was Lukens Steel in Coatesville, maker of high-quality steel plate and which had a huge appetite for good scrap steel.

The mill is still in business, now Arcelor Mittal.

Phil Mulligan

An interesting anecdote has an old RDG gondola billed to Lukens with a load of scrap, then empty to Luria's, then as a load in a newer gondola going into Lukens.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:13 pm 

...It must be Tuesday.

Attachments:
IMG_3349.jpg
IMG_3349.jpg [ 146.88 KiB | Viewed 373 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9