It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pullman troop sleeper flooring
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:13 am 

Does anyone in the groups have definite information as to what material and color of same Pullman used for the floors in the troop sleepers?

I know it was tile but what type and color? Does anyone with a car still have the original flooring?

Based on web searches it looks like the car at the B&O museum has yellow tile. Pullman builder photos show what looks like a black tile I used to see in old buildings. What was in ours was red but I think it had been painted.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Pullman troop sleeper flooring
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:22 pm 

the Little River Railroad in Michigan has a troop sleeper that is used as a refreshment car in excursion service. The floor is covered in some kind of loose industrial flooring but the tile might still be intact underneath. You might want to ask them.

Attachments:
LR 8.JPG
LR 8.JPG [ 182.11 KiB | Viewed 3819 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:32 pm 

Whatever colour it is, I hope you find a match.
I've found it impossible to track down good old fashioned plain red lino for my Pullman car, (which appears to have been used in the wet areas).
You can get red vinyl, but with patterns, but not straight industrial red any more.
So frustrating!
Cheers, Bob

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:29 pm 

Pullman (and all of the railroads) always used rubber tile for their floors. You might think it is linoleum but it is not. I have read enough of the descriptive reports from Pullman and it is clear that rubber tile was the floor covering of choice. It is hard and durable and lasts for decades. Johnsonite is a product that is still made...they use it in hospitals because of it's properties. Many of the old Pullmans you see will have red and green squares. They don't sell the same size squares but you can get bigger tiles and cut them down to make very authentic floors.

T7

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:45 pm 

I wonder if the specifications for the cars exist. That document should tell what the "as built" material was.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:55 am 

The Illinois Railway Museum has a collection of materials in their Pullman Library. Maybe they might have some information. https://www.irm.org/pullmanlibrary/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:24 am 

I strongly suggest that anybody involved in a car restoration get what they can from one of the sources. The thing to start with is a descriptive report. Have your build date...lot number...and a good attitude on hand. You may have to pay for copies but don't freak out...they provide hours of good reading. You will learn so much. A floor plan is nice...lots of details on those. A drawing list could be good if you want to order other drawings. Some cars have nearly 1000 drawings...you don't need all of them but you may need some of them.
I can almost guarantee this car had rubber tiles like we see in other railroad cars: diners, coaches and Pullman restrooms. It was very durable and it was easy to clean. Descriptive report should tell you which color and size of tiles.
T7

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:54 pm 

Here is a shot of the rubber tile floor that Pullman put in the Troop Sleeper located here at the Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum in North Judson, Indiana. For part of its existence, the car had a false floor installed over these tiles by the Wabash (or the N&W) when the car was put into company service. But when we removed that false floor a number of years ago, we decided to keep the Pullman tile. For its age, it is still in remarkably good condition.

Les

Attachments:
Goings on at HVRM 2-27-21 002.JPG
Goings on at HVRM 2-27-21 002.JPG [ 236.02 KiB | Viewed 3334 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:03 pm 

Thanks for all the responses everyone.

Bill