It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need help IDing this sand trap
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:56 pm 

Can anyone identify this sand trap? It is on our GE 45 tonner. If I know the model number I might be able to order new ones.

Attachments:
20210330_204941.jpg
20210330_204941.jpg [ 306.81 KiB | Viewed 3420 times ]

Post subject: Re: Need help IDing this sand trap
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:16 pm 

May sound strange, but have you tried a chalk/charcoal/etc. rubbing to see if you can read the casting? I’ve had decent luck doing that not only with old tombstones, but with old or rusted fittings and the like.

(For those who don’t know, you brush off as much rust, mud, corrosion etc. as possible and put a piece of thin, strong paper—copier paper will do—over the letters or numbers you need. Use a chunk of dark-colored chalk, carpenter’s pencil or even a charcoal briquet and rub across the lettering. A lot of lost detail will surface.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:59 pm 

It looks to be King Sander Trap Number 39.

Attachments:
GEI-32622 Sander Trap King No.39.pdf [201.74 KiB]
Downloaded 272 times

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:50 pm 

Unless the thing filled up with water and the casting froze, there isn't much that can go wrong with sand traps. If it isn't working, just open the various cleanout plugs (use a little heat first) and clean out the crud from inside.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:26 am 

Thank you Jason that is exactly what they are.

Does anybody still make these? Anybody have spares I could purchase?

Jeff the photo is of the best looking one on the loco. The others look like they have been in the ocean for awhile. Not much hope of getting anything loose on these.

We actually tried to get 2 of them working. 1 was clogged solid and the other barely let the air through.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:21 pm 

These were used on my American Crane and I'm sure Ohio's use them too. Contact IPS Cranes which is up at Duluth and Saint Paul, they build and rebuild locomotive cranes and should be able to supply you a resource for these.

Last edited by M Secco on Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:17 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
I once had a seasoned vintage motorcycle and car mechanic say about some similar looking parts on my automobile, "It's cast steel/iron. There's nothing that can go wrong with them that you can't fix with a blowtorch."

He was exaggerating a bit for effect. BUT dang it, he did manage to get loose, refurbish, and reinstall a similar fitting with nothing much more than an acetylene torch to get the recalcitrant bolts cherry red and willing to move, heat and cool the parts, take the bench grinder wire wheel to them, free up and unclog everything, and reinstall.

From the PDF, a similar strategy, by someone who knows what he's doing, could work wonders here too. Your big problem might just be getting the danged thing out of there.

Note: This approach is not recommended for aluminium, pewter, plastic, copper, rubber, etc. >;-)