It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Invitation to a Zoom Event
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:55 am 

I'm cross-posting this to RyPN because I believe there would be some interest here in seeing this. Also, some on here have been discussing having their organizations go to using Zoom for meetings as a way of boosting attendance and allowing long-distance members a way to participate, so this would be a chance to see how it works.

This coming Tuesday, April 20, the Potomac Chapter, NRHS will present a Zoom program by author and former Akron Railroad Club president Craig Sanders titled, City of New Orleans: A train, a Song, a Region. This is a companion piece to an article he did for Trains Magazine several years ago. It traces the history of the storied train, tells the story of how the late Steve Goodman came to write his beloved song about it, how he got Arlo Guthrie to record it, and shows the train in the northern part of its route. Craig did this for the Akron Railroad Club several years ago, and I consider this to be probably the best program Craig has done. I like to say that even Arlo might learn something from it. It is in the style and quality of a Summerail program, although it is longer than one of their programs, with live narration, and only one song.

Craig Sanders is a native of Matoon, IL, on the mainline of the IC, and grew up watching the original IC passenger service, including the City. He is a retired journalism professor, currently residing in Indianapolis. Craig is the author of numerous railroad books, the last two being Akron Railroads II in Color for Arcadia, and The Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad for Fonthill. His last article for Trains Magazine was for their Ohio issue last August, on the Indiana and Ohio.

This program will be part of the regular April Potomac Chapter meeting, which will start at 8 pm Eastern time on the 20th. The Zoom link will go live about 10 minutes before the meeting begins. If you have not been on Zoom before, it's not that hard. For this event you do NOT have to turn on your camera or microphone to join us, lurking as a guest for this meeting is perfectly fine. You might have to copy and paste the link into your browser, and click on the "join meeting from your browser" option. It may take a couple of minutes for meeting host Bill Holdsworth to let you in. The Zoom meeting can accommodate up to 100 participants, and the most we've had up to this point is about 35, so it should be no problem. There will be a very brief business meeting before Craig's program, and I expect the entire event to run about 90 minutes.

Link to Zoom event: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85872884361?p ... Q0ckZKdz09

Hope you can join us on the 20th.

Post subject: Re: Invitation to a Zoom Event
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:11 pm 

Just to bring this back to the top, a reminder that this event is tonight!

Post subject: Re: Invitation to a Zoom Event
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:24 am 

Thanks to those on here who tuned into last night's program. I hope you enjoyed the presentation.