It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Southeastern Railway Museum
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 1999 6:49 pm 

This past Saturday, while in Atlanta to attend a wedding, I had the pleasure of visiting the Souteastern Railway Museum in the company of my wife's cousin who is from Holland. Unfortunately, I forgot to print out the map before I left home, and there is no sign on I-85 indicating an exit for either Duluth, or the museum. We did eventually get there however. I was disappointed that the three pieces I most wanted to see were in the shop. However, when I showed up in the gift shop wearing my B&O Railroad Museum Volunteer shirt, and asked about #290, the lady there immediately had two young teenage gentlemen take us over to the shop to see what I wanted to see.<p>These young men, ages 13 and 14 were an outstanding credit both to the museum and to their parents. It was great to see #750 freshly repainted and ready to go on display in the museum next week. E-8A #6901 was also just about ready to go on display. A&WP 4-6-2 #290 was missing her boiler jacket, but will go on display in the next several months. You read so much about bad kids today, but the total love of railroading in these two young mens hearts was a joy to behold. The entire museum knows what Southern Hospitality is about!<br>

kevingillespie@usa.net

Post subject: Re: Southeastern Railway Museum
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 1999 3:31 am 

Nick and Steven are happy you enjoyed their tour, Mick and Steven's parents are happy they were polite, and my wife Lesa is happy you called her a lady.<p>The locomotive crew is juggling many projects at once, from maintenance on GA PWR 97 prior to running it for the first time this season to the cosmetic work being done on 750 and 6901. I told them that if paint had magic powers, 750 would run, it looks so good. It will move up into building one as soon as the rods are polished. Meanwhile, there's some more needle gun work to do inside the cab of the E8. 290 is waiting on all of these projects before getting back in the restoration queue.<p>Thanks for stopping by. If you're in Atlanta on April 8, stop by for the grand opening. I hope we'll have all the rolling stock in building one by then.<p>--Malcolm

Southeastern Railway Museum
collections@srmduluth.org

Post subject: Re: Southeastern Railway Museum
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 1999 3:33 am 

Hmm, wish I'd spell-checked my message. Your tour guide's name was Nick, not Mick. Geez.<p><br>

collections@srmduluth.org