It is currently Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MBTA wants to auction 15 F40PHs
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:45 pm 

Ozark Mountain Railcar have announced that they plan to help the MBTA auction 15 of their f40ph locomotive. Maybe somebody here has contacts the MBTA board of directors that can convince them to hold a few off for preservation. Don't think any of them still run but a lot of them would make great displays and exhibits the general public and poke around in.

Last edited by RCD on Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: MBTA wants to auction 15 F40PHs
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:05 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
RCD wrote:
Don't any of them still run but a lot of them would make great displays and exhibits the general public and poke around in.

1) I'm assuming this garbled language means "None of the ones being offered are currently operable".....................

2) Any ideas which ones?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:11 am 

I am going to guess the "Screamers" 1000 to 1016. These ones were built by EMD. The rest of there fleet are knock offs built by MK.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:16 pm 

MBTA F40PH units 1000 through 1012 have build dates from 10/78 through 12/78. MBTA 1013 through 1018 have build dates in 12/80.

MBTA units 1050 through 1073 are also EMD-built locomotives dated from 7/87 to 5/88.

PC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:10 pm 

I have been contacting a bunch of people includeing some MassDOT bord members. I have also reached out to a possible home for one of these units. I don't know how viable the Shelburne Falls Trolley Museum is considering that the switch has been taken out that used to connect to our yard. Maybe I should contact Pan Am and ask just trying to figure out what my next move should be. This is pretty much a do-or-die moment. If we can't get a hold of one of these units the likelihood that will ever be able to is pretty much null.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:52 pm 

May I recommend employing a spell and grammar check before reaching out to executives, managers or other professionals if you want them to take you seriously.

Otherwise, please don't, because it makes us all look bad.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:08 pm 

Ed Kapuscinski wrote:
May I recommend employing a spell and grammar check before reaching out to executives, managers or other professionals if you want them to take you seriously.

So are you volunteering to help?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:24 pm 

RCD wrote:
Ed Kapuscinski wrote:

No. I have my hands full with my own projects.

But I AM telling you something you need to hear when it comes to this endeavor.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:08 am 

Ed Kapuscinski wrote:
RCD wrote:
Ed Kapuscinski wrote:

No. I have my hands full with my own projects.

But I AM telling you something you need to hear when it comes to this endeavor.

See my edits below -
The originals are not as bad as they could have been. However, please take Brother Kapuscinski's advice to heart and have someone proof read for you. You would be amazed at what my long-suffering secretary still catches in my work.

Quote:
Ozark Mountain Railcar has announced that they plan to help the MBTA auction 15 of their F40ph locomotive. Maybe somebody here has contacts the MBTA Board of Directors who can convince them to hold a few for preservation. I don't think any of them still run but a lot of them would make great displays and exhibits for the general public to poke around in.

Quote:
I have been contacting a bunch of people including some MassDOT board members. I have also reached out to a possible home for one of these units. I don't know how viable the Shelburne Falls Trolley Museum is considering that the switch has been taken out that used to connect to our yard. Maybe I should contact Pan Am and ask. Just trying to figure out what my next move should be. This is pretty much a do-or-die moment. If we can't get a hold of one of these units the likelihood that we will ever be able to is pretty much null.

GME

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:12 pm 

Trainlawyer wrote:
You would be amazed at what my long-suffering secretary still catches in my work.

GME
You'd be amazed what HE still catches in MY work and I don't work for him anymore!

Subscribing to my grandfather's philosophy that no case is so weak or cause so harebrained that somebody cannot be found to handle it in exchange for a sufficient retainer up front.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:07 pm 

Thinking of faxing this.

The F40PH Preservation Society is a organization located in the state of Massachusetts with the goal of preserving railroad history and artifacts, especially those relating to F40PH locomotives, and to educate the public about these artifacts and historical information through collection, restoration, display, demonstration and interpretation.
By preserving one of these historic locomotives it will allow the general public to be able to interact with it one on one in a way not as possible or safe as it would be in an active service. A real F40PH
would be a much better aid to interpreting the history and workings. As an F40PH still operates on the same basic principle as today's modern diesel electric locomotives, it will help the public to get a better understanding
of the workings of a modern railroad locomotive. This locomotive could also be used in familiarizing and training first responders to railroad equipment. The F40PH Preservation Society inc. is asking the Massachusetts Department of Transportation, to donate one of there retired EMD F40PH locomotives of their retired EMD F40PH locomotives (units 1000 to 1017) so we may set up a public display that allows people to interact with a real locomotive in a safe environment while explaining the historical significance and technology of the unit. we hope to hear from the bored soon we may move forward.

Sincerely: Rowan C. de la Barre

President F40PH Preservation Society .inc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:31 pm 

What is the name that your organization is formally incorporated as and in what state? A search of "F40PH Preservation Society" with the Secretary of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts website at: https://corp.sec.state.ma.us/corpweb/CorpSearch/CorpSearch.aspx does not return a result.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:42 pm 

Thomas Cornillie wrote:
What is the name that your organization is formally incorporated as and in what state? A search of "F40PH Preservation Society" with the Secretary of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts website at: https://corp.sec.state.ma.us/corpweb/CorpSearch/CorpSearch.aspx does not return a result.
You are right we are registered in Massachusetts. It showed up just fine for me. Try just searching "f40ph" without quotes under the "begins with" search option. Or you can try https://corp.sec.state.ma.us/CorpWeb/Co ... syfBXm0wc-

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:38 pm 

Rowan,

There are a few things here which I don't see.

1st - Type it so it appears to be on a real letterhead with the organizations name and contact information along with your own.

2nd -Address it by name and title to an individual such as the Chairman of the Board of the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority.

3rd - Clarify that you are a nonprofit."The F40PH Preservation Society is a nonprofit corporation organized in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts." If you have an IRS letter cite the tax exemption status. "The F40PH Preservation Society is a nonprofit corporation (Sec. 50__) organized in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts." Do not claim 50 anything status if you do not have the letter.

4th - File your annual reports through the last one due before you send the letter.

5th - Please have somebody proof read the letter. There are several glaring errors which need to be fixed.

DISCLAIMER: None of this is legal advice. It is the practical experience of someone who has both solicited and been solicited for charitable donations.

Good Luck - I'd like to see you pull this off.

GME

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:19 pm 

[quote="RCD"] we hope to hear from the bored soon we may move forward.

I they are bored, why would they have enough interest to respond?