It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: UNION PACIFIC TO DONATE CHALLENGER 3985 & OTHER EQUIPMEN
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:29 pm 

NJDixon wrote:
Or is he talking about the mythological PRR J1 that is buried at Pitcairn yard?

That would be the one. I was being mostly facetious, although I still hold out hope that it's under there.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:27 pm 

I was there this past Sunday (at Silvis) and spoke to both RRHMA volunteers/employees and Iowa Interstate employees and was told something pretty similar. There are several steam locomotives that will be coming to the shops for restoration and that's not limited to the 4 (5 if you count the UP diesel) that we know about. I was also told that a larger variation of the three 2-10-2s is likely, though no one can obviously say anything beyond that right now (the RRHMA volunteers/employees told me that part). A 2-10-4 is what pops into my head first. I know there was a group recently with interest in the ATSF 5021, though I think 5000 or 5011 are far more likely candidates, assuming the museums or organizations would let them go. I didn't really think of a 2-8-8-2 being considered a larger variation, though it does make sense. The only surviving 2-8-8-2s I can think of would be the N&W 2050 and 2056. I don't see 2056 getting let go, so 2050 would probably be the one to go, although I still don't think that's likely.

I will say I agree with a couple of the above posts. Theoretically if IAIS let RRHMA let trains run from Silvis to Bureau Junction or in other parts of the system outside of Silvis, almost any size steam locomotive could be suitable. Even something as large as the Cab Forward (lol good luck with that though) or a Yellowstone could be possible, but you've got to consider how practical it is. The only large steam locomotive that really wouldn't work that I could think of would be the UP 9000. I don't think there's really any place it could realistically run nowadays.

I wouldn't give TOO much speculation into what locomotives they may or may not get in the future. Just let it be a surprise, plus they have plenty of work cut out for them with 3985 and 5511, let alone the two QJs. It'll be fun to see what they get ahold of in the coming years.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:45 pm 

I think a Yellowstone or Texas Type would be pretty realistic to move and to actually restore. I agree the Cab Forward isn't going anywhere. I would assume neither 4-10-2 would be let go either. I'd really love to see the UP 9000 run. Honestly that would complete a roster of operating steam giants since the next largest survivor would be a 2-8-2. Think about it. Union Pacific has UP 844 and 4014, RRHMA has UP 3985 and 5511. Really the only one missing is the 4-12-2. It would be a logistic challenge to run it, but if anyone could it would be the RRHMA. Plus that would give us a good sample of UP wheel arrangements operating. There's a 2-8-0 under restoration at IRM, and a UP 4-6-2 in Oregon.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:51 pm 

Dave Lewandoski wrote:
B&LE 643. Not buried, bought by AOS awaiting the planets to align to get it home.

AOS has dragged their heels and not paid attention to conditions and has had the planets align and fly by without them noticing. The more the Pittsburgh area wakes up the less likely they'll get a chance to move 643 at all. Good luck to AOS now that the highways are jammed packed with travelers, commuters, and sky high rates for fuel. I predict that 643 is stuck where it is and has been for the long haul - probably 10 ish years before they finally move it - either that or it sits as it always has and turns to rust chips or some enterprising local scrapper hops the fence

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:14 pm 

I'd take any rumor with a grain of salt but in my mind a larger variation of a 2-10-2 would be a 2-10-2. I certainly wouldn't call a 2-10-4 or a 2-8-8-2 a larger 2-10-2 any more than I'd call a Northern a large Mikado. My mind immediately goes to Southern Pacific 2-10-2 #982 that is undergoing restoration. Could that group possibly be looking for space and possible contract labor?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:47 pm 

hullmat991 wrote:
Dave Lewandoski wrote:
B&LE 643. Not buried, bought by AOS awaiting the planets to align to get it home.

AOS has dragged their heels and not paid attention to conditions and has had the planets align and fly by without them noticing. The more the Pittsburgh area wakes up the less likely they'll get a chance to move 643 at all. Good luck to AOS now that the highways are jammed packed with travelers, commuters, and sky high rates for fuel. I predict that 643 is stuck where it is and has been for the long haul - probably 10 ish years before they finally move it - either that or it sits as it always has and turns to rust chips or some enterprising local scrapper hops the fence

glad I'm not the only one thinking this......

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:51 pm 

What a weird description. What is a “larger variant of a 2-10-2”.

I don’t believe the 982 in Houston would be moved all the way to Silvis. So this might just be in reference to the 5511. And as for the Santa Fe Texas type “group”, that’s just a Facebook page being run by this one guy asking that Santa Fe 5021 be given to someone else.

And as for B&LE 643, the window really wasn’t there if we’re being honest. The locomotive was bought at auction in August, and the world shut down the next March. Moving such a giant locomotive like that would’ve taken a year or two to find the right people even in the best case scenario with no Panasonic. But since the Panini did happen, it might take a year or two more to see it move to Ohio.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:40 pm 

Steamguy73 wrote:

And as for B&LE 643, the window really wasn’t there if we’re being honest. The locomotive was bought at auction in August, and the world shut down the next March. Moving such a giant locomotive like that would’ve taken a year or two to find the right people even in the best case scenario with no Panasonic. But since the Panini did happen, it might take a year or two more to see it move to Ohio.

If my daily downtown office commute on I-376 has been anything to go by - then yes they have potentially lost multiple chances. If the county was EVER going to give the OK to move the locomotive it would have been when most people were still working from home. They're sure not going to give it now that everything is fully open again and the roads have become log jams with all the traffic. AOS should have petitioned the right people, and they would have gotten the permissions they needed / wanted. And as for health restrictions preventing work being done on the locomotive - well... those were personal choice. Restrictions didnt stop the myriad of construction and contracting projects that occurred throughout the city or even the ones I could see from the building that I work in.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:11 am 

What AOS has stated in the past, and I have no reason to doubt them, was that progress on the move of 643 didn’t occur because the county halted all “non essential projects”. Moving a big steam locomotive is, understandably, far down on that priority list.

Traffic is not the only factor. They stated that weight on the road and clearance limits in the tight streets also provide trouble.

Also, weather being a large factor as well. They would’ve had probably 2, maybe 3 months from August to late October where they could’ve reasonably moved it. And *just* when spring was starting in mid March, boom, Panoramic.

In practice, they had at best 3 solid months to move the locomotive between that August and early November. And that’s about it. After that time the weather would’ve just been too crappy.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:40 am 

Steamguy73 wrote:

I don’t believe the 982 in Houston would be moved all the way to Silvis. So this might just be in reference to the 5511. And as for the Santa Fe Texas type “group”, that’s just a Facebook page being run by this one guy asking that Santa Fe 5021 be given to someone else.

I can say the 982 will not be traveling to Silvis, Illinois and we are currently scouting locations in Houston for our use. Any assistance for this endeavor would be appreciated. More news soon to come....

Kenneth Cotton

President

Texas Railway Preservation Association

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:58 am 

any rumors/ideas as to what the price was on the BLE 643 at auction?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:07 pm 

Steamguy73 wrote:
What AOS has stated in the past, and I have no reason to doubt them, was that progress on the move of 643 didn’t occur because the county halted all “non essential projects”. Moving a big steam locomotive is, understandably, far down on that priority list.

Traffic is not the only factor. They stated that weight on the road and clearance limits in the tight streets also provide trouble.

Also, weather being a large factor as well. They would’ve had probably 2, maybe 3 months from August to late October where they could’ve reasonably moved it. And *just* when spring was starting in mid March, boom, Panoramic.

In practice, they had at best 3 solid months to move the locomotive between that August and early November. And that’s about it. After that time the weather would’ve just been too crappy.

643 was sold in 2019 and the tender was moved in 2020 and I would argue that the months between May and October would have been ideal for any moves. In 2021 Contractors in Allegheny county were out in full force on various projects - I'd hardly call BNY gutting three floors for refurbishment in my building as "essential". Then there was Frankie Pace Park that was built over the i-579 as a cap project. That wasnt essential but construction carried on - got a good view of it from the break room.

AOS could have gotten the ball rolling last year.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:37 pm 

hullmat991 wrote:

AOS could have gotten the ball rolling last year.

I'm not getting this, since AOS was pretty clear a ways back on how they needed permits and coordination between several counties, cities, the state and other agencies. It only needed one or two of those organizations to shut down a move until...

Seems to me the more interesting aspect is if they will move it in one piece or disassemble in to several (IE: boiler, frame, wheels, etc). Not to mention any prep work that needs to be done at AOS along with staff availability.

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:31 pm 

I look the posts but no one think it would be great to See a Rock Island 4-6-2 restored and operated at the Silvis shop???

About 643 AOS has not move the running gear in 2021??

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:54 am 

The B&LE 643 tender was transported between September - November of 2019, according to their roundhouse reports they post every now and then.

It was not transported in 2020.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next