It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: UNION PACIFIC TO DONATE CHALLENGER 3985 & OTHER EQUIPMEN
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:50 pm 

It is crap like that when Ed took it over is WHY 844 and 3985 both ended up in the shop for a full forensic detailed look at what shape they actually where in. When they pulled 844 to the frame they found another 60 pounds of asbestos that should have already been removed from it a brake stand that had never been torn down since 844 had last seen a class 1 overhaul when UP was still running steam. Yeah they found the dates of the overhaul still where on the freaking stand. The stuff they found made my friend go almost insane with how much risk UP had with those 2 engines running around. They figured out why 844 got her wheels flattened out that one time before her last overhaul they did. There was so much slop in the throttle that steam could literally leak around the valves into the cylinders on the engine. Also the MU control for the diesel engine 40% of the time refused to actually control the engine behind them. All of this and more was found on the 844 let alone the 3985. This from a steam program that had a dedicated funding source from the UP Board of Directors. In this modern era of sue first ask questions later UP was playing Russian roulette every time either of those engines was running before they where redone.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:28 pm 

Richard Glueck wrote:
IIRC, 5511's problem is the wheel base, nothing more. Wasn't it supposed to go to Argentina and the deal fell through, allowing it to escape the torch?

According to Ron Ziel's Twilight of the Steam Locomotive said it was Big Boy #4005 that was being prepped to ship to Argentina. Not sure how true that was, since I can't find any evidence to corroborate.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:47 pm 

Yes, Ron mentions that in "Twilight", but other sources repeat the 5511 story. And when you think of it, all the other 2-10-2's were cut up, so no real need to hang onto this one. Ron also related the story of how 4015 was about to be cut up and he was offered the torch to make the first cut. He refused, say"I couldn't do that to something I love that much". 4005 is now in museum hands, so I'd think it was destined to go there. I recall there remained strings of Challengers and Big Boys waiting for possible recall, well into 1960.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:25 pm 

This is exciting news that we will likely see the Challenger run again. Imagine the crowds if the Big Boy pulled the Challenger along with the DDA40X dead in tow to their new home. I was not surprised to hear this news. Equipment has been slowly disappearing over the years. I suspected the Challenger would eventually get donated since Ed was constantly asked about it and was a constant source of irritation. I remember him saying "you would think people would be happy about the Big Boy coming back to life. But I probably get more questions asked about the Challenger".

Was surprised to hear the DDA40X was donated. I asked about it's condition last year and one of the mechanics said "it needs a starter but other than that it's fully operational". The E units were also operational.

I don't believe this had anything to do with money issues. Union Pacific is set to have its best year ever in revenue with a estimated 23 billion dollars. What is a little troubling is they donated a huge portion of their collection. Could be a indication the steam program is ending, pausing, or changing hands in the upcoming years. In either case good for Ed for donating such a large amount of equipment.

I was told the boiler on the 838 would eventually replace the boiler on the 844. Nearly everything on the 838 has been stripped. I would be interested to hear if there is still plans to turn the old roundhouse into a museum as the city of Cheyenne was planning. The old roundhouse should be empty once the locomotives leave.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:42 pm 

Tom F wrote:
I would be interested to hear if there is still plans to turn the old roundhouse into a museum as the city of Cheyenne was planning. The old roundhouse should be empty once the locomotives leave.

I think, with this move, the project is dead

But this is great to see 3985 back on rail, sad this is not with Union Pacific and far away of his territory (Illinois) but is still great

So now the UP heritage is 844, 4014, the E-Units and the rollings stocks
Funny to see UP update the steam shop website with 3985 page and 6936 updated.

For 5511 everyones her(me too) could be surprised to see she can be restored back to steam. Is great but i wait to see in the nexts years if the Railroading Heritage of Midwest America is serious

And for Railroading Heritage of Midwest America what next?? Bring back some CRIP stock back to Silvis like a 4-6-2?? I don't see 261 stay in Minneapolis like the Friend of 261 said, not with the Silvis Shop and 3985 project. I think RRHMA need to focus on one site that my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 12:12 am 

I've seen John Rimmasch's name attached to the museum project. So there may be other hurdles with his issues that have recently come up

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 7:13 am 

Tom F wrote:

I don't believe this had anything to do with money issues. Union Pacific is set to have its best year ever in revenue with a estimated 23 billion dollars. What is a little troubling is they donated a huge portion of their collection. Could be a indication the steam program is ending, pausing, or changing hands in the upcoming years. In either case good for Ed for donating such a large amount of equipment.

I don't consider responsible curation and deaccession as troubling, nor an indication of anything in particular. If anything it shows their intent and focus on what they can reasonably handle and want to do. This is a win win.

-Sam

Post subject: OTHER EQUIPMENT
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 8:32 am 

I work at the UP. You can get on the computer and inquire about the current disposition of any piece of equipment. With locomotives, you can view it's quarterly history and all kinds of other things... inspections required, past due and all that.
There are places for comments on what's been done, what repairs have been made, reports from crews on what they find wrong during operation and all that stuff.

The 6936 came through here eons (20 years?) ago pulling an officers special, so I got on the computer to look up things about it's disposition.

One crew complaint was that it "rides rough." There was a response from the mechanical department that looked in to it, but I can't recall what it said. If I remember today, I'll log on and look to see if that comment is still in there.

EDIT: Looked on 6936~ no comments for years. Looked for 3985~ no comments since 2016. The 5511 must be off the roster as there is no listing for it. Couldn't remember the B unit number, but it would probably be the same result.

Last edited by Bad Order on Sun May 01, 2022 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 10:51 am 

The news was as big to hear as a 4000 is being restored to operation to me. I look at the bigger picture of what it means to the 261 group, the Silvis yard, the equipment, and the UP as well. From the rumors the money has already been appropriated to rebuild the 3985, but idk if its true. I am more interested to know how the acquirement of the equipment will play into the overall plan for the yard (running excursions from the yard to points elsewhere, etc). What is the current condition of the equipment? Obviously the 3985 and 5511 are in need of complete overhauls. Does the Silvis yard have all the steam era tools to rebuild steamers still? I would assume their focus is to prep the facility to be able to fully rebuild and operate steamers in house before tackling a 3985 rebuild. Things like a boiler house to preheat the boilers before firing up and such is something to think about considering the grand plan for the yard

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 12:46 pm 

Responding to JayZee, this is on that level for me as well, but it might be the most surprising rail preservation news I’ve seen probably since C&O 1309 was announced to be going to Cumberland. With most other big news in rail preservation this past decade, there was always the occasional puffs of smoke around them that made you say “yeah, I could see that as a possibility”. Take the Big Boy or 576 running again for example; there had always been stuff in air about them, like how 576 was considered for the AFT and the Clinchfield program, or the fact that 3985 even operated at all for the UP opened the possibility for a Big Boy to run.

With this news, it was just totally out of left field. No way anyone outside of the deal could’ve seen this happening. Not a chance.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 5:10 pm 

Photos were posted of the building at Silvis where the donated equipment will be stored on the Railroading Heritage of Midwest America facebook page today (the UP diesel in the background is something NRE is still working on under contract): https://www.facebook.com/RailroadingHer ... 5128484880

Attachments:
279589800_140944015152658_2276609588092301952_nb.jpg
279589800_140944015152658_2276609588092301952_nb.jpg [ 123.55 KiB | Viewed 3063 times ]
279633955_140943965152663_2509084680806963570_nb.jpg
279633955_140943965152663_2509084680806963570_nb.jpg [ 98.81 KiB | Viewed 3063 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 6:11 pm 

NJDixon wrote:
Steamguy73 wrote:
Les Beckman wrote:
Nice bit of news. And the hopes for 2-10-2 # 5511 are interesting. But, wasn't there a group that was attempting to restore one of the surviving Southern Pacific (ex-T&NO) 2-10-2's to operation? Is that a project that's still in the works? Or.....?

Les

Yes, I didn’t forget that one. But that restoration is still in its infancy, and it is with less resources than Silvis. I believe a restoration at Silvis of 5511 would be done more swiftly than SP 982, even with 3985 ahead in the queue.

No disrespect to the 982 group though. That’s a great project: restoring a fairly size able steam locomotive in a place where there isn’t much big steam action.

I wish them the best but the #982 restoration has a lot of red flags: a museum with no webpage, no actual physical site, who is openly saying on social media that they are running out of funds announcing that they are going to restore a large steam locomotive with a long rigid wheelbase that hasn't run in 70 years and has no tender. Not the most confidence inspiring.

Slow your roll right there. We're not a museum, and our web page is being developed. You can reach us on Facebook at Texas Railway Preservation Association. A tender has been sourced and available. We have made no announcement concerning funds or fund raising. A location for housing, storing, and overhauling the 982 is in the works, as are negotiations with others in regards to operation. Major announcements are coming soon.

Sincerely,

Kenneth Cotton

President

Texas Railway Preservation Association

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 6:31 pm 

ironeagle2006 wrote:
I have a friend that works for the UP in the steam program. The estimated cost for UP to do the overhaul for the 3985 to their new standards was more than what the 4014 cost. Why they needed to replace every single staybolt as most noncertified materials in her. They found noncertified material in the boiler pressure vessel and the firebox needs to be rebuilt also. Why the same crap that happened with 844 over the years happened to 3985 work was done without someone being held accountable for it. They found lines ending in spots that caused rusting in spots other areas well let's just say that when they started her 1472 inspection all those years ago they realized that 844 was going to faster to redo than 3985 when they where told that they needed to get 4014 ready to run by 2019 and have another steam engine with her. My friend is amazed that 3985 had not had a boiler failure from what he found in her. My friend is retired Navy high pressure steam boilerman and he was scared of what he found. He called it almost criminal what they did.

Navy or marine boilers (most of which are water tube boilers) have almost nothing in common with locomotive-style boilers.

I have seen repeatedly that non-certified materials were used in both boilers, but I have not seen any evidence of exactly what those materials were, where and how they were used, not to mention how they managed to get by all the inspectors and the FRA.

This looks entirely like something created from nothing just to point fingers and draw attention away from bad things done by others.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 7:10 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Steamguy73 wrote:
With this news, it was just totally out of left field. No way anyone outside of the deal could’ve seen this happening. Not a chance.

In reality, there had been some debate and speculation for years on not if, but more like when, UP would finally "do something" with 5511, 6936, 3985, and other stuff there.

But, to be fair, much of it was simply "sour grapes" attacks on Ed Dickens speculating on when he was going to "further his vendetta" and "scorch the earth" of anything left over from "Steve Lee days"....... so it wasn't taken seriously........

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 7:28 pm 

Lincoln Penn wrote:
ironeagle2006 wrote:

I have seen repeatedly that non-certified materials were used in both boilers, but I have not seen any evidence of exactly what those materials were, where and how they were used, not to mention how they managed to get by all the inspectors and the FRA.

This looks entirely like something created from nothing just to point fingers and draw attention away from bad things done by others.

Here you go - straight from Ed back in 2018.
https://youtu.be/YyJKqbvlNhg?t=4024

Not sure about any boiler materials; but he makes it plain that it needs a frame up rebuild due to how things were fixed in the past and just years of the use.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next