It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Historic ERIE/C&O diesels in Nebraska
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 8:47 pm 

SD70dude wrote:
Are Hyatt journals really not allowed by certain railroads these days?

At work we (CN in Canada) still have a lot of older yard power and even SD40-2s with this type of bearing, so for me it's weird to think of them being an issue.

Our newest rebuilt yard engines even came back from Progress Rail last year with them:

http://www.railpictures.ca/?attachment_id=44150

I believe the issue is with hotbox detectors not picking them up, NS (I have heard second-hand) apparently won't allow them, but don't quote me..

Here are the only two photos I have found of the GP-7 as originally delivered in 1950 as Erie 1202:

Attachments:
erie1202b.jpg
erie1202b.jpg [ 40.63 KiB | Viewed 1119 times ]
erie1202.jpg
erie1202.jpg [ 49.1 KiB | Viewed 1119 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 12:16 am 

A more recent photo shows that the improvised air compressor has been removed: https://www.railpictures.net/photo/798758/

The Delaware Lacakwanna in Scranton moved a similar GP8 (originally DL&W) that was last used at an industry for 20+ years, as discussed here: http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35617

Something to keep in mind in terms of historical significance, this is the last Erie road freight locomotive (diesel or steam) and it is the last Erie locomotive to have worn the Erie's golden wings on a black carbody. E8 833 is the only other extant Erie road locomotive. Otherwise there are a handful of diesel switchers and the EMC gas electric #5012 at the Ohio Railway Museum. I welcome being corrected. Also, I'm not counting frames that were used in the creation of genset or natural gas locomotives.

If a museum is interested, I suggest contact the elevator to have a conversation. Otherwise, when the time comes the first call will be to a scrapper - if a scrapper doesn't contact them first. The connection with the Erie and the more recent story of survival would make interesting material for a fund raising campaign and interpretation.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:07 am 

From the files ...

Conrail Power Part III, Printed in Rails Northeast Vol. 7, No. 6, Issue 59 at P. 38, listed Conrail GP8 5455 as being assigned to Scranton.

From this thread, the history of the unit in Tamora, NE is:

Erie 1202 - GP7 - currently United Farmers Co-op GP8 1096, Tamora, Nebraska.
(nee Erie 1202) (EL 1202) (CR 5932) (CR GP8 5455)